Thermo-switch for fans

I had The Beastie off road yesterday working quite hard and was a little surprise/dismayed that the temperature gauge hit 105C but the fans still did not come on. I have an X-Eng switch and after the 300Tdi was put in I did test that is I put power to the right poles the fans did work so I know the wiring and the fan is OK.

I am also fairly sure the gauge is OK since it is a new VDO together with VDO sender and it suggests usual running temperature is about 80C

The only difference I see is that originally the unit was in a bottom hose but after the new engine it has been put into a top hose (maybe not room or who knows!).

Is it likely that this is the problem - in which case I will see if I can replace the switch to somewhere near its original position; or are these switches effectively consumable items? Mine must be at least 6 years old.

Whatever I think I need a solution since I am sure going that high cannot be good for the engine.

ANy suggestions would, as always, be most appreciated.

Thanks

Malcy

Is it a 200 tdi as in your profile? If so then find a thermostat housing from an old Disco/RRC 200 tdi which had aircon. They come with a thermo switch built into the housing and make for a very useful way of switching on an electric fan that looks factory standard. I use one on my challenge truck and it works faultlessly (though I also have a manual switch too).

The X-Eng switches are for the bottom hose, read the instructions!

You can test the switch with boiling water and a multimeter, but for the cost, after checking the rest of the wiring as something may have got snagged, just replace it.

Thanks guys. I think that at least the initial step (before I go off road again!) is to move the thermo-switch down to the bottom hose. I may try and ask the guy who did the transplant if there was any reason why it went where it did but may not be a clever call on my part.

So next stop is to get a new top hose and then look at insinuating it into the bottom hose somewhere. Moving the electrics, if needed, should not be a problem. If it still looks wonky then will get a new unit.

Thanks for the suggestions

Malcy