Radio wont come out of my Discovery 2, Please could I have some advice

CJ1

Hi, I don't have the radio code for my Land Rover Discovery 2's radio, however Land Rover are willing to get the code for free for me as it isn't the original factory standard radio that came with this car. As I have the original code which doesn't work. However, in order to get the code for this stereo I need to get the serial number which means getting the radio out. I bought some radio keys to remove it and the radio still wont come out.

I can get the key on the left to get resistance in the hole so you can feel the security sprung clip push down, but the right hand side flops about in the hole, but the radio will not budge out of the hole. I have even tried getting rough with it. Mainly because I got stressed.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a trick to getting this thing out?

Just so you know, I have the Alpine unit with Harmon Kardon speakers.

Cheers.

The radio on my Disco 2 was not fitted using the normal springs on the side, although they fitted in the holes and seemed to be doing something. After extensive searching I discovered that D2 radios are fixed using small allen bolts. I cannot remember the size of the key needed (could be 3 mm) but try a few in the holes either side and then simply loosen the bolts until the radio becomes loose and slides out.

Cheers but it doesn't have the grub screws like most of the Land Rover ones. This is the radio.

post-41802-0-48867100-1411496473_thumb.jpg

Barretts Land Rover in Ashford tried to get the stereo out too and they had no luck. They are looking into alternative methods of removing it without damaging the car, and I will find out on Thursday what they have found lol.

Mine is the same and the keys never seem to engage properly - in fact the catches have now disintegrated completely. There is a rubber buffer at the back that sticks and it can be a real pain getting the radio out - I eventually managed with thin levers carefully used behind the front cover and getting hold of the cassette slot. There are no allen screws.

I got angry with a large flat headed screw driver lol It turns out the left hand side tab was disengaging with the key in but the right hand side the key was in fact what rovernut was saying. The release key was going under the tab forcing it up. So it has now been bent and taken off the stereo altogether. So next week I will pop up to Land Rover and get the Serial number to them so I can get the code lol.

post-41802-0-65808700-1411752724_thumb.jpg

post-41802-0-47451400-1411752728_thumb.jpg

post-41802-0-73081500-1411752731_thumb.jpg

post-41802-0-60304200-1411752735_thumb.jpg