Classic heater matrix.

rrr47

The matrix is quite a small part of the heater assembly, whichyou do need to get completely out of the car to work on.

However, it it's not necessary to remove all the dash, I know 'cos I've done it.

Mine a 1990 Vogue SE 3.9 EFi Automatic. I removed the centre console and lower dash to get access to the heater and ducting.

One thing I did find which made it possible to do without the whole dash out was this. The heater assembly was fouling on the transfer lever, it is possible to take the transfer lever off its pivot (I think it's a circlip on memory) which allows the lever to move out of the way, and then the heater assembly wriggled out.

I'm not going to pretend to you it was easy, it wasn't! Lots of nimble fingers and wedging yourself upside down in the footwells required.

Thanks for the reply and advice, I will try your method. I am not looking forward to do the job as I have done this a few times on various cars and, with exception of two, it was whole dash out job. On a Cortina and Manta, (the other two), the same job is a few crosshead screws and two Jubilee clips under the bonnet, with the heater fans just as easy.

It is virtually a dash-out job, as above I wriggled mine out a bit, and managed to leave the top of the dash, including the main clocks in place, which saved mucking around with all that gubbins, slid it out into the passenger footwell I think, was a few years ago now.