Poor fuel economy on my 2002 TD5 Auto Discovery

CJ1

I can't believe this topic is still going lol. I gave the figures I got and you lot calculated them. My Disco is good on fuel now. End of lol. I have had some Disco's that have been really carp on fuel and some really good on fuel. The only Discovery I have had that had a lot of performance upgrades including the performance head, larger intercooler, remap etc... Was my 1996 Manual Disco 300TDi. Which I miss badly and that happily achieved over 40mpg regularly when not towing.

End of topic. lol

No I am not making it up. Just fed up of people who don't know me calling me a liar!!! When other people have stated they are getting the same mpg as me! And sick of my email going off with replies from ppl calling me a liar. I got the answer I needed. Resolved the poor fuel economy issue and then get a load of keyboard warriors jumping in. It's not on! So end of topic. Think what you want to think. I don't care!

Gosh

I don't think anyone has called you a liar. Just seems a lot of friendly people talking a out how unbelievable 38mpg is.

They are largely the same friendly people who read your other posts and offer advice and help when they can I think.

Take it easy - a forum is for discussion after all.

I don't see anyone calling you a liar either.

I do see a lot of experienced people finding the figures difficult to believe/achieve and querying how you got them.

The Disco had apparently only been serviced a couple of hundred miles before you bought it. You drove some 600 miles including a long motorway journey, averaging 24-27mpg then posted here about poor fuel economy.

By the time that you had done a fill to fill test and got just under 38mpg, all that you claim to have done was put in some Wynns, checked that the fan was not seized and had a good run. Yet the improvement was near 50%. Are you surprised that people want to know more? I certainly do.

I want to know more as if I could get that sort of figure it would cost me a damned site less to run my wife's car - I'm genuinely interested; I've spent the last ten years getting good fuel mileage from 200 and 300 Tdi's; Td5's are new territory to me as the last time I was playing with TD5 Disco's I was working for LRE and they paid for the juice

CJ there's been a healthy and not unfounded level of skepticism, and arising from that, there's been friendly advice and inquisitiveness. Nobody has called you a liar, and in my experience it'd be out of character for anyone here to do so.

I said it already... I want your figures to be correct. But whether they are right or wrong, there's an explanation for the figures you're getting, and the quality of your character doesn't come in the equation. You're amongst friends here, no one's out to write off anyone else.

I don't blame you if you feel a little put upon. No one want's to say flat out that 38mpg is wrong, no one would assume to tell you. But do have a read back. You'll see that no one was anything but nice. Also that no one has echoed getting 38mpg from a Td5, and that your original figures of 24-27 are actually far more normal for a Td5 to produce in standard form. Put it this way, I expected skepticism for suggesting I was getting 28-ish from mine, and that's only 5% on LR's figure.

All the skeptics and cynics should remember that a record was set when the Tdi Ranger Rover first came out. Land's End to John O'Groats (or was it the other way around? I've lost the article) averaging 52 m.p.g.. 38 in a more streamlined car with a potentially more efficient motor doesn't sound at all unrealistic. And, while no one is directly calling anyone a liar here, the implication has been very strong.

Fuel economy is something that varies hugely, depending on so many different things. Whether CJ has done his/her maths right or not, the figure is plausible, even while the work reported to get there may not be enough to fully account for it. I'm more interested in a report back after six months - does the new car really get the same economy as the old one in the long term and, if so, what can other diesel drivers do to improve their economy? Flip, 24-27 is barely better than the 18-22 I've got out of V8 petrol Range Rovers over the years!

The 200 is always better on juice than a 300 when matched in a like for like vehicle - unless the 200 has something wrong with it or is tuned to hell and back (badly)

My 200 RRC would give 40mpg on a steady 55mph run on good A roads and that was tweaked a tadge

The D2 is a lardy old barge - although lovely to drive - and the engine has to work to make things progress. I also feel that the Auto-box is less than efficient. But if you want economy get a Skoda 1.6Tdi