Defender mirrors on a Disco 1

JimDay

Is it possible to fit Defender door mirrors to a Discovery 1 I use the Disco for towing a caravan & just wondered if it's possible so I don't have to keep fitting towing extension mirrors that are a pain in the bum to fit & set up each time I tow the van.

My reasoning is that the Defender mirrors would protrude far enough to give good rearward vision past the caravan.

Has anyone done this or is it just not possible

cant imagine it being too hard to be honest, might look a litle odd though haha. if its a 200 disco have you considered upgrading the mirrors to the 300/td5 type? these are bigger and IMHO probably stick out as far as a defender one. i have never considered the later disco mirrors too small. although i do agree that the 200 mirrors are a little on the dinky side.

what do you use mirrors for anyway? :rofl:

Edit - ignore most of that, i have just read your sig... :doh:

I looked at doing this when I had my flatbed disco, I planned to make a triangular plate from some ~5mm with 3 holes to marry up to the existing bolt holes and then drill to suit defender mirrors,

Will.

Thanks for the replies guys, miketomcat I was hoping that by fitting Defender mirrors they would stick out far enough to not need extension mirrors

Plus the Disco 1 300Tdi mirrors while being bigger than the earlier 200Tdi they are convex & I hate things behind me looking so small.

I did this years ago (sorry, no pictures). I cut a piece of 4 or 5mm thick stainless steel to fit the aperture in the door where the old mirror sat.

Originally I was going to bolt the whole Defender unit to this piece of stainless but when it was offered up the mirror head was too high in the air and, to me, looked too odd. In the end I welded a tab onto the stainless plate, cut the mirror arm from it's mounting / swivel bracket (the piece that bolts to the Defender door hinge) and bolted the whole arm plus mirror through the original pivot hole to the tab welded to the plate on the door.

You do loose the ability to have preset positions doing it this way but it worked for me and didn't look too bad.

Peter.

• 4 years later...

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to have arrived 5yrs too late for this thread. Still I am very curious as to see images of how exactly these wing mirrors are connected to a Land Rover Discovery. I have search high and low but cannot find a single image online. If anyone is out there and has an image that speaks a thousand words please do post a response.

Huge Thanks in advance

6 hours ago, Argue4x4 said:

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to have arrived 5yrs too late for this thread. Still I am very curious as to see images of how exactly these wing mirrors are connected to a Land Rover Discovery. I have search high and low but cannot find a single image online. If anyone is out there and has an image that speaks a thousand words please do post a response.

Huge Thanks in advance

The stock mirror is bolted on, there is a small triangle shaped plastic panel on the inside of the door, pull this off and unbolt the mirror. If it is electric, then you'll have connections here too.

To fit a Defender mirror, you  just need some metal to attach the mirror too, then attach to the vehicle where the old one attached. Very simple fab work and depending on how tidy you want it to be, can be done with some tin snips and a drill in about 30 - 45 mins or less.

The biggest thing to note is, the Defender mirror is much taller and the arm places the glass physically a lot higher in relation to the door edge/bottom of the glass. The standard mirror literally sticks out, not up and out.

Sorry not the best pics, but they seem to be all I have. I fitted a Defender style on the passenger side, it is actually a slightly larger mirror than a standard one (sold by Paddock Spares). As you can see the location of the mirror is quite different. It worked well on the passenger side, but I think would be in your line of vision on the drivers side.

IMG_0478 (2).JPG

IMG_0173 (1).JPG

Chick Drumstick,

Huge thanks for the reply with images! Now the vision is starting to sink in. Your right they are a bit higher than the top of the door. I think I would welcome the additional vision.

Can the Defender mirror arm be adjusted or is it in a fixed position when attached to the truck?

How many degrees can the mirror head tilt?

I am wondering about what Wingnut mentioned in his post about cutting the mirror arm from the mounting bracket to also cause the mirror to sit a lower.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

The arm moves back and forth, thus moving the mirror in and out. I had it tucked in as it worked for my use. The top of mirror must tilt approx 15 degrees maybe.

Very good info, I thank you so much for responding to with such helpful info. I'm going to go for it and give it a try.

Thank you!