Head light loom upgrade ready made kits

I Have seen some great threads on here about improving the headlight wiring but has any one used either of the kits from the companies listed here.

http://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/shop/article_47/Land-Rover-Defender-300TDI-Upgraded-Headlamp-Harness-With-Inner-Spot-Lamps.html

I also see he does a kit for roof mounted lights and also sells them on eBay.

I also found another kit via Australian Land Rover forum for a company in Norway! Though he didn't put a link so has taken me a while to find it.

https://shop.landreiziger.nl/lichtversterker-kabelboom-met-relais.html

(well I think that's the kit as I don't Understand the Norwegian written word any translators here?)

My 90 is pre 300 tdi and has a petrol engine so I guess a little bit of modification of the loom may be necessary but that is favourable to making a complete one of my own.

Your Norwegian looks very Dutch to me...

I know cos a) I'm a translator ;) and b) I bought one of those a couple of years back and am quite happy with it. I took the +ve off the back of the alternator, that's all I can remember; it's a decent product...

I bought the dutch one. It's nicely made, robust and my lights are now much better. There is a thread on the defender2 forum about them. I'd recommend them.

If you are using Firefox, you can translate the page with a right click.

Mo

Thanks unfortunately not on fire fox so went by long search through photos as to correct part and thought it looks properly made, I have emailed them to ask for price including delivery to compare with the other one I mentioned above cost wise. Guess Chinese one would need relays checking atleast maybe, so sticking with European ones for piece of mind.

I bought a Chinese one and it's okay.

I then butchered it and added my spots and light bar, a bracket, a splash proof relay and fuse holder, fuses and swapped the fuses and the relays to LR items but for the £6 it was well worth it just for the connectors.

15398242756_a1abdb2df2.jpg

Total cost was about £30 when finished

I bought a Chinese headlamp loom a few months ago, it was 6 or 7 quid and looks fine. I still haven't got around to fitting it. Too many projects on the go

I tried to buy a couple of those, paid for em, they never arrived! Got my money back from Ebay! Buy from China at your peril.

54.49 euros for landreiziger headlight loom deliverered

£46.99 for the rayneauto one delivered (that one has front spotlight loom and relay)

Looking at various Landy forums and speaking to suppliers it is apparent that All headlights are made to meet regulations and

That while LED headlights offer brighter whiter light the updated wipac svx headlights with improved loom and good quality H4 bulbs would offer similar range illumination and the money not spent on LED headlights could be put towards a good LED light bar that would

Give much better illumination than regulated headlights.

I read on the AULRO website of one chap who was considering returning his Land Rover headlights to the SVX style ones to keep it more original and he thought the light from his LED headlights was only marginally better than his SVX ones. Lots of offers were made to buy his LED ones but he was putting them on another Landrover he owned.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted my Ductch loom and will include below some typically useful information emailed to me from Martin for those with pre defender 90's and 110's he writes

Aha, you seem to have an older type, a pre-Defender so to say?

The connector you are looking for is inside the black bowl. Just unscrew the 3 screws on the bezel (the metal ring holding the glass of the headlight) and you will be able to take the whole unit out.

Taking the old connector out and replacing it for the new one is a tad fiddly, you’ll have to take the 3 flag receptacles out of the connector housing which can be done with a very small screwdriver. (at the front of the connector there’s a small opening above the flag to release it from the housing)

When they are all out, you can put them one by one through the hole in the black bowl. If you are keen on having the grommet back in place (which is recommended) you can cut it open with a sharp blade, place the wires in and as soon as you place it back in its hole i twill stay closed. Don’t worry about water tightness, that’s not an issue here.

Don’t hesitate to ask when in doubt, we’re open tomorrow as well so I’ll be able to help you before the weekend starts.

Ofcourse a scream from delight of achieved succes is welcome too. J

Met vriendelijke groet, best regards,

Martin de Keizer.

As you can see Martin is very good at explaining things and both he and Liz have been most helpful so I am a satisfied customer,

I'm sure the cheaper options available are fine but for me the technical support and quality of the kit was worth the expense.