Tow Electrics Wiring advice

Hi everyone,

I'm getting a NAS Towstep for 110 and will fit towball etc.

There seems to be a real variety in terms of prices for the electrics (LR specific is more than £70 or generic one for £12).

Can you tell me if I need a specifically LR Defender electric pack or will any tow electric pack do?

I'm guessing I only need the N style as I don't have a caravan?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

If I read the OP's post correctly, in this thread - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=68392

He's awaiting delivery of a new Defender.

Hi guys,
Complete newbie here and expecting my first LR in couple of weeks.

In which case, the Genuine Land Rover kit is the one I would recommend.

The Genuine kit plugs-in to a socket under the O/S rear wheelarch.

The wires into the back of the 12N socket are sealed.

It also has sealed connectors on its harness for plugging-in some of the 12S circuits.

The generic 12N kits don't usually have the wires sealed into the 12N socket and, at the other end, are just bare wires.

Thanks Paul, yes it's a new vehicle.

So - the LR005920? Is worth the extra cash?

Found it online at island4x4 for a tad under £40... Just seems a lot...

Cheers

Doug

Yes, that's the one icon_thumbup.gif

However, the one you've seen at Island 4x4, is an 'OEM' kit made by Britpart :unsure:

As you'll learn, anything in a 'Blue Box' labelled Britpart, is usually to be avoided.

They use the term 'OEM' (Original Equipment Manufacturer) a bit too liberally - as, their kit bears little resemblance to the Genuine Parts kit.

If it is made by the OEM (which I very much doubt) - then, it's been 'made to a price' - as, it's been made from much cheaper, inferior components.

Britpart kit -

getimg.jpg

As you can see in the above picture -

The 12N socket is separate from the harness and has to be assembled to it, with a separate gasket.

The harness is covered in PVC sleeving.

The 'tap-off' for reversing lights and permanent live (for the 12S socket) is an unsealed 2-way AMP 'fastin' connector.

The Genuine Parts kit (these are my pictures of one I sold on eBay, a while back) -

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

As you can see from the above pictures -

The 12N socket is assembled to the wires and sealed against water ingress.

The harness is covered in convoluted tubing, offering more protection than PVC sleeving.

The 'tap-off' for reversing lights and permanent live (for the 12S socket) is a Delphi MetriPack sealed 2-way connector.

There's also an additional 'tap-off' on the rear fog lamp circuit, using a 2-way sealed Econoseal connector with a loop-back, which would allow you to break the fog lamp circuit to the trailer - I'm not sure what that's actually for, and there's no reference to using it, in the instructions :unsure:

The only thing that the two kits have in common, is the Sumitomo Grey DL sealed 9-way connector, to pick-up the mating connector on the vehicle.

One thing I would recommend, regardless of which kit you opt for, is that once you've plugged the Grey connectors together, use spray Waxoyl to liberally coat over both connectors and their wires, to keep the water out of them.

Although the Sumitomo connectors are environmentally sealed, they're in one of the most inhospitable places on the vehicle - under the wheelarch, right behind the wheel, and they are subjected to mud and spray from the tyre.

The connector would have been better placed, inside the vehicle, behind the rear light cover - but, this would necessitate a large grommet in the wheelbox, or the connector(s) left unassembled until the wiring had been passed through the grommet in the wheelbox.

Anyway, as Mo has said, on a new (expensive) vehicle, why spoil it by fitting inferior accessories.

Apologies for the thread hijack, but is the vehicle side of the sumitomo 9 way connector (female) available anywhere? The one on my td5 loom is goosed and I have a genuine set of electrics to plug in. Failing that it'll be hacked off and suitable weatherproof connectors used.

There's also an additional 'tap-off' on the rear fog lamp circuit, using a 2-way sealed Econoseal connector with a loop-back, which would allow you to break the fog lamp circuit to the trailer - I'm not sure what that's actually for, and there's no reference to using it, in the instructions :unsure:

My Isuzu has the 13 pin socket which disables the vehicles rear fog light when a trailer is connected. Could it be for that? I found that 'feature' out as it nearly failed it's first MOT when I left the 13 - 7 pin adaptor in :unsure:

Apologies for the thread hijack, but is the vehicle side of the sumitomo 9 way connector (female) available anywhere? The one on my td5 loom is goosed and I have a genuine set of electrics to plug in. Failing that it'll be hacked off and suitable weatherproof connectors used.

I've not managed to find a source for the Grey 9-way connector.

Although, it's not a single part number, there are several component parts, all with their own part numbers and MoQs (Minimum order Quantities) -

Grey hybrid 9-way female connector housing with retainer

090 (2.3mm) female terminals and wire seals

187 (4.8mm) female terminals and wire seals

I have some of the terminals and wire seals to fit this connector, but not the housing.

There is a Black version of the female 9-way housing, which I am able to source - but, Sumitomo describe it as "special shape" and don't specifically state that the Black female housing wlll mate with the Grey male housing.

From Sumitomo's images of the two versions, they look identical -

Grey

61950170.jpg

Black

61950238.jpg

But, without comparing the two, I wouldn't like to say whether or not that is the case.

The next time I place an order, I will add a couple of Black connector housings, to see if they will substitute for the Grey housing.

My Isuzu has the 13 pin socket which disables the vehicles rear fog light when a trailer is connected. Could it be for that? I found that 'feature' out as it nearly failed it's first MOT when I left the 13 - 7 pin adaptor in :unsure:

At first, I thought it might be for that - but, it breaks the trailer's fog lamp connection, not the towing vehicle's :unsure:

• 8 years later...
On 10/20/2014 at 9:32 AM, PaulMc said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/paulmc0308/eBay-Me/Land_Rover_Parts/DSC01468.jpg

As you can see from the above pictures -

The 12N socket is assembled to the wires and sealed against water ingress.

Hi folks, 

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I've been buying towing wiring stuff - connectors etc, and found this thread. Specifically interested in the sealed/potted socket shown above. 

Since seeing it I've googled for 'sealed towing sockets' but found nothing like this. I think i read elsewhere that Paul Mc used to sell stuff, but has closed down an eBay shop(?). Any ideas where I might find such a thing? 

I suppose I could make up a socket and then put some fibreglass resin into it - but I don't know if that's conductive or not... Or as it's for a friend's car, if it becomes another hassle I might not bother - but just interested as I'd never seen the like before.  

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Northwards said:

Hi folks, 

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I've been buying towing wiring stuff - connectors etc, and found this thread. Specifically interested in the sealed/potted socket shown above. 

Since seeing it I've googled for 'sealed towing sockets' but found nothing like this. I think i read elsewhere that Paul Mc used to sell stuff, but has closed down an eBay shop(?). Any ideas where I might find such a thing? 

I suppose I could make up a socket and then put some fibreglass resin into it - but I don't know if that's conductive or not... Or as it's for a friend's car, if it becomes another hassle I might not bother - but just interested as I'd never seen the like before.  

Thanks.

My eBay shop for connectors is still up and going strong - https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/landroverconnectors

But, the Genuine 12N Towing Kit that I sold back in 2014, was a 'one-off' that I sold on my personal account.

I'd picked it up cheap at one of the summer shows, intending to fit it to my 110 - but, at the time, I couldn't get the 9-way Sumitomo connector for the vehicle loom, so decided to sell it.

The Genuine Land Rover 12N Kit LR005920 is worth the extra few pounds (see my comparison pictures in my earlier post) -

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR005920

LR005920.JPG

Be careful where you buy it from, as the 'OEM' kit uses the same part number, and some suppliers seem to think that 'OEM' is 'Genuine' 😒

• Like 1

Thanks all,

Phill B (and FF) thanks for the link. I’d heard of things being ‘potted’ but had never heard of potting compound and might not have thought to use those search terms. 👍

Paul - sorry for suggesting that your site wasn’t working. Clearly wrong on that one, and I’ve marked it for the future.

I think it might need to be DIY though as although that genuine one looks grand, the car I’m researching this for is far from pristine. It has the trailer and charging sockets, and both 7 way cables are joined to the loom in a “buggers muddle”. From memory the best case scenario is a bunch of bullet connectors, although at least I don’t think I saw any scotchloks.

I’ve got a couple of 8 way econoseal sets on the way so that I can tidy up both cables and stash them behind the to-be-fitted GLewis mudshields. The idea of potting the sockets comes from the fact that the last mile and a half to my friend’s house is down a forest road and unmade track. Using that at least twice a day exposes the back end wiring to a lot of abuse.

Thanks again.