Best starter for RV8

missingsid

So currently I have a Rangey Classic pre engaged starter motor on my 3.5. This has the solenoid on the side of the starter rather than underneath on the car starters. I know that Bendix type starters damage the starter ring gear and that they can jam but twice now I have been stopped offroad by the pre engagement solenoid piston becomming blocked by liquid sand or mud.

I can't help but think a Bendix starter would be less likely to jam? Are they available for RV8 engines and does anyone have experience of them?

So looking arround I have found out the following.

P38 is a Bosch type which has a rubber sleve on the solenoid as above.

Lucas for Rover P5 also has a rubber boot for solenoid.

So do I buy the P38 starter. S/h with 90 day garuntee of ebay or P5 solenoid also of ebay, both are same price?

will the P38 fit my SD1 block?

Marc

I'd go buy yourself a new bosch style and silicon the holes up. They aren't that expensive from Crads. I run one and carry a spare (auto). The big wound lucas is better when the engine is hot. The Bosch is normally faster on most vehicles. I've never seen a bendix style for the RV8.

I've too been trough many a starter on my rv8s but ever since I bought the Denso geared starter from paddocks I haven't had a single,problem! And it draws much less current to start the,engine so the spark remains powerful and, starting is done much quicker and nicer. And at that silly low price I will never choose otherwise.

Called Paddocks and they had no idea about PMGR starters, so I looked on line at WOSP racing starters and they are based on both Denso and Bosch starters as they are the same design and presumably quality?

Choice of £78 Denso new from Paddocks or £34s/h Bosch with 3 month garuntee I chose the Bosch as it is known to have the sealed solenoid and I'm broke anyway.

So I fitted the new on today, much easier to fit as the smaller motor allows the use of a socket, turned key and wow it's so fast! I will keep the old one as a spare but don't want to go back to it really.

Marc.