Give advice

Привет всем!
Ребята, я от самой Украины и пришел к вам сюда с этим вопросом: у меня есть Defender 3.5 v8, и я хочу, чтобы он положил в автоматическую коробку передач. Помощь совет, с которым подобрать.
Извините за мой английский!

To save anyone else putting that into google translate, here it is.

Hello everyone!

Guys, I'm from Ukraine itself and come to you here with this question: I have a Defender 3.5 v8, and I want him to put in an automatic transmission. Help advice with which to pick.
Sorry for my English!

• 2 weeks later...

Defender 3.5 V8 are de-tuned (for bad fuel / hard work) so there are simple things you can do:

1. The carbs may have restrictor plates in them, remove them.

2. Check the compression ratio (stamped on the engine block), if it is low compression (<9.35:1) that is a bad start.

3. Converting to fuel injection (Lucas 14CU / 14CUX from Range Rover or use Megasquirt) will gain some power & driveability without mechanical changes.

Depending on prices in your country, it is easier to buy an engine from a Range Rover that has EFI, if it is bigger (3.9, 4.0, 4.2 or 4.6) that is a good gain as well. Buying "performance" parts for an old 3.5 is an expensive way to get more power.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the restrictor plates.

But the common thing to do was to change the camshaft I think for a 3.9L camshaft.

The other thing to try to do is to change the exhaust system for something which is free flowing (removes one of the scilencer boxes), that will bring about small / modest gains.

Changing the compression ratio will require new pistons + an engine rebuild

In standard tune they are suppose to provide about 135 hp, at best I think the SD1 rover with a high compression 3.5L engine got about 190hp (but not on carbs), but it was also further up the rev range, which is not so beneficial for a landrover, given low speed torque is normally affected.

The normal "cheap" thing to do these days is find a 3.9L engine and install that as they go for relatively little money in the UK now given the number of discovery's and range rovers that have been broken for spares.

Then it's fitting a 4.6L that will bring the next most cost effective power gains up to about 240hp, after that it tends to be expensive for the rover v8, but with a greater torque improvement percentage.

The main thing to start off with is to service the vehicle as it is and make sure that its in good condition with the carbs tuned and balanced, and the timing is correct, the timing chain is not worn, there is no missfiring or hydraulic lifter rattles / sticking, and it has new plugs, etc

Restrictors are the 4-hole plates in the inlet manifold , shown in this thread here:

http://www.stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1499

Pull them out and ~45BHP more.

I don't know what age your vehicle is, but after a certain date they stopped fitting them anyways.

Here are number of car SALLDHMV8YA..............I think it is a 2000 year!