POLL - what diesel/SVO ratio

Gromit

I know that there has been loads about this before, but in order to find out the best diesel/SVO ratio to chuck straight into one's tank, I thought it'd be usefull to get a poll on what yall are running.

This is for SVO/diesel mix only.

You must not be preheating the fuel.

I've not included engines before the 200tdi as I understand the FIP doesn't like SVO.

What engine 200/300tdi/td5/tgv?

What percentage SVO/diesel are you running?

Are you adding anything else to the diesel/SVO mix?

Are you in a moderate climate?

How long have you been running diesel/SVO mix in miles/kilometers?

What engine oil are you running, mineral/synthetic/bio and what viscosity?

What is your oil change interval ?

Any changes in oil consistancy?

Have you broken anything as a direct result of the diesel/SVO mix - turbo bearings etc?

(edited to add, PM me your results if you prefer and I'll publish the results anonymously )

Have a look here: http://www.inhislandy.co.uk/veggy_pages.htm

And here:http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

The first one has bit on land rovers and veggy, the second is a very useful forum with masses of info.

In short: All land rover engines need a twin tank conversion to run veggy successfully, bar the Td5, which may be possible, but no one seems to have tried it yet.

A mix is all very well, but in a direct injection engine can result in piston ring gumming and the sump oil can turn to jelly. Have a read of the posts on direct injection engines in the forum above. I wouldnt go much about 20% veggy in a TDi...

70% SVO in my 200tdi for the last year and a bit. need to keep an eye on the sump oil as it will turn jelly like sometimes. not sure what makes it worse but its only happened the once in 4 oil changes.

mineral engine oil, i think its millers 15w40. total mileage 15k ish.

seems to have a touch more bottom end power on SVO but doesnt like to rev out as much, i prefer lower revs so that doesnt bother me. i havent noticed any difference in MPG changing between fuels.

also dont leave your motor standing more than week or so with SVO in it, the stuff seems to go off/moudly. it turns really thick & your car runs like carp for a few tankfuls till its all burnt off.

last tip, carry a spare fuel filter if your just swopping over to SVO. because SVO is thicker it drags all the dirt out of the fuel lines & blocks the filter within about 600-800miles.

When the engine is cold there is incomplete combustion of the veggy oil. It then condenses on the cylinder walls, works its way under the piston rings (where it turns to goo and causes them to stick, so you loose compression) and then gets into the sump. Veggy oil and mineral engine oil under heat and agitation polymerise resulting in jelly.

Its really not good for the engine! For this reason it is always best to run a twin tank system where you start on diesel, and then change over when the engine is hot and the veggy can be fully combusted in the cylinder.

Adding solvents can help with cold starting (petrol is particularly good) but doesnt help the ring gumming or polymerisation as the solvent and veggy seperate after injection, resulting in the same problem.

Andy...if you want your revs back, try advancing the timing a couple of degrees.

You must not be preheating the fuel.

Only just read that bit. Preheating on a TDi wont make the blindest bit of difference. The oil will be injected at the temperature of the injector - heating it up prior to the pump wont make any difference at all due to the massive heat losses of the fip and injector lines.

200Tdi:

10% - 20% mix

(only use in spring/summer/early autumn)

Been running it only 6 months and not noticed any difference, a little less start up smoke, but thats all.

Engine oil: Mineral 10/40W (I think), changed every 3000miles, fuel and oil filter every 6000.

The only things I have broken are not related to the engine!

TD5:

I use Diesel only, except when the wife fills it with petrol!

What engine 200/300tdi/td5/tgv?

300tdi, but my old man follows a similar regieme in his 200Tdi disco.

What percentage SVO/diesel are you running?

25% SVO - 75% diesel... will drop down to 10%SVO -90% diesel in the colder months...

but have run up to 40% SVO - 60% diesel when realy warm. :)

Are you adding anything else to the diesel/SVO mix?

yes, diesel additive, when i remember. :rolleyes:

Are you in a moderate climate?

Kent, so not especially. :rolleyes:

How long have you been running diesel/SVO mix in miles/kilometers?

3 years/ 40,000 miles in my old defender 300tdi, 6 months/ 12,000 miles in my current disco.

What engine oil are you running, mineral/synthetic/bio and what viscosity?

Coopers oil filters and ASDA cheap and chearfull mineral oil, 15W 40.... £6.50 for five litres. :)

What is your oil change interval ?

usually 4,000 miles, slightly more if i forget, but never over 5,000 miles. also do the fuel filter pretty regularly...

Any changes in oil consistancy?

nope.

Have you broken anything as a direct result of the diesel/SVO mix - turbo bearings etc?

the fuel leak-off hose (runs between injectors) perished on my old defender, that could have been down to SVO.... but other than that nothing.... i think the truck runs better with a bit of SVO in it, seams to have more pulling power.

200tdi

50/50 summer

10/90 or 0 in colder weather

northumberland

2year

25,000mile

service 3/4000 mile

coopers filters & ~Millers 15/40

no problems but its got 165,000 on the clock so tollerances are possibly a little variable anyway....