'Heavy Duty' 3500kg 110 and 130 chassis' ??

I've been looking to change my CSW for a pick-up or tipper for a little while now, just trying to find the right vehicle. I have just been googling this morning (and on here) trying to determine what the differences are between the standard 3050gvw vehicles and the heavy duty 3500gvw ones, I have a crane to fit, and the difference gives me back some legitimate payload.

The obvious difference is the double springs at the back but I am assuming it isn't enough just to swop springs, it seems obvious the actual chassis must be reinforced but I can't seem to find anything in writing. Similarly military chassis are often described as heavy duty, but no-one quotes gvw's for them.

The only vehicles that seem to be originally 3500kg chassis are some ex-utility vehicles. So does anyone here know how to tell a genuine 3500kg chassis by visual inspection? were any ex military vehicles so equipped? how common are they I wonder.

Any one out there know a bit about it please?

I thought the 130 vehicles had an extra top piece welded on, at least they were at the initial stages of production, when they were just stretched 110 chassis.

The re-manufacturers use thicker material 2.5mmish v 1.9mmish for the HD versions.

Why not phone up Richards Chassis? Afterall you wouldn't be re-using an second hand chassis, would you? Because (assuming you are UK based) that'd be illegal, without declaring it and getting a Q plate.

Thanks for the replies, just to clarify, I am not thinking of swopping chassis, just what to check to verify I am looking at a genuine HD chassis. Now a 4t gvw would be even better!, .... what vehicle was that please Chris

Thanks Chris, I think an armoured version probably represents too many hard to dispose of unwanted accessories! On the army gvw's in general I am not worried about how applicable they are in civvy street, more just expanding the pool of vehicles to look in to find my next 'heavy duty' truck. Military ones do seem dearer in general though so you have to be very selective. (not sure I get that entirely, I remember when ex-mod stuff could be had at a great price if you happened to be at the right auction once in a while)