08 2.4 TDCI Puma buying advice

dirtyninety

Been to view and test drive a 08 2.4 bottom spec keswick green 90 today, It was lovely to drive, but I have a few reservations.

My current 90 is a County spec td5, electric windows remote central locking and alarm etc.

The Puma 90 has non of this, but its a good price and has done 23000 miles.

Has anyone ever fitted these to a Puma? Will the wiring loom be behind the dash?

Any other advice on buying a Puma I should keep in mind?

Off the top of my head:

2008 should be sorted but check for clutch spring rattles as this is a common problem.

Gearbox and transfer box should be smooth with no vibrations or clunks - another common problem is wear in the splines of the intermediate shaft caused by lack of lubrication on assembly, these have been known to fail causing loss of drive.

Any clunks or slack in the drive do check all the drive member splines for wear.

EGR valve should make a chukka, chukka sound as it cycles just after engine shutdown, if it doesn't then check to see if the egr has been disabled via a remap.

Other than that check for corrosion and peeling finish on stuff like bumper, side and rear steps, mudflap brackets, screen surround and hinge blocks. As with any other Defender check chassis, x member & bulkhead for rust. Hardtop gutter sealant sometimes cracks.

Sure there's more but I've run out of time for now.

The gearbox was crisp, the gates where so square and the gearstick didnt wobble about! The clutch was light like a car - I was seriously impressed!

The chassis had lost a lot of paint, in fact MUCH worse that my 02 plate 90. First job its get it on the ramps, rub down and paint underneath with a liberal coat of thick chassis paint.

I collect it on friday!!