TD5 Engine Workshop Manual

Purity Vendetta

The Td5 engine is covered in a fair amount of detail in the Discovery 2 and the Defender workshop manuals (or at least in the ones I had). Most of the main stuff should be in there though - are you sure you haven't got a NAS manual or something?

I've cracked it now, apparently I'd been looking at the Discovery manual for the US market which only covers the V8 in detail. Now I've found the right version I have the requisite info and feel much more relaxed. Had a read through and got myself familiar with the basics. Sadly it was the first time I've had to look over our new Disco in detail and it appears that the rear crankshaft oil seal is leaking badly as well as the clutch release bearing noise so I'm going to call the guy who we bought the car from tomorrow to see what he'll do and if he won't play ball we'll have to drop the gearbox and sort it out ourselves. C'est la vie eh?

Thanks for the help

• 2 years later...
On 11/9/2014 at 5:15 PM, Purity Vendetta said:

I've cracked it now, apparently I'd been looking at the Discovery manual for the US market which only covers the V8 in detail. Now I've found the right version I have the requisite info and feel much more relaxed. Had a read through and got myself familiar with the basics. Sadly it was the first time I've had to look over our new Disco in detail and it appears that the rear crankshaft oil seal is leaking badly as well as the clutch release bearing noise so I'm going to call the guy who we bought the car from tomorrow to see what he'll do and if he won't play ball we'll have to drop the gearbox and sort it out ourselves. C'est la vie eh?

Thanks for the help

Hi Purity V, you have cracked my problem too.  Would you mind telling me where you found it as I too have a series 2 Disco TD5 year 2000 and also need to do engine work?

Would be much appreciated!  John

The implication is that Purity was looking at a US market manual, either RAVE or paper.

On 08/11/2014 at 11:59 PM, Purity Vendetta said:

Thanks Mr Monster, I have checked through the RAVE manuals and I think you're right, no workshop manual exists for the TD5 which is a bit disheartening. ...

On 09/11/2014 at 11:40 AM, BogMonster said:

The Td5 engine is covered in a fair amount of detail in the Discovery 2 and the Defender workshop manuals (or at least in the ones I had). Most of the main stuff should be in there though - are you sure you haven't got a NAS manual or something?

On 09/11/2014 at 5:15 PM, Purity Vendetta said:

I've cracked it now, apparently I'd been looking at the Discovery manual for the US market which only covers the V8 in detail. Now I've found the right version I have the requisite info and feel much more relaxed. ...

One version of RAVE v016-1 covers the TD5 & V8, this is Disc Part Number: .....................LRL0549ENG

Be aware there is another RAVE v016-1, Disc Part Number: ...........LRL0549NAS. As the number indicates, this is the NAS only version. It contains no UK (Rest of World) Technical Bulletins.

I think you can safely assume that versions 017-1 and later also cover the D2 with TD5. The NAS specific v016 seems to have been a one-off abberation.
I cannot tell you where to find them on the web, but you should have an idea of how to evaluate what you find or get offered.

Regards.