Ring.....er....

Maverik

Am I getting those links.....

The difference between "rebuilt" and "radically altered" is that rebuilt must retain the original unmodified chassis or one built to the original specification and radically altered do what you want with the chassis?

How much different really is a td5 chassis from a v8 defender chassis? The only differences I can see are the engine mounts, transfer mount, radiator pins, roll bar retainer brackets, rear tank mount and the use of a separate rear tub to crossmember bracket / mount.

So given none of those are structural and all the mounting points for the v8 hardware bolt directly to the chassis (or could be made too in the case of engine and radiator mounts

Would the use of such a chassis in such an application would it amount to a rebuilt vehicle or a radically altered vehicle, given from all visual appearances all the bodywork would be the same?

What about this for a confusing scenario.... You do a chassis change to a new td5 90 to replace a v8 90, and a bulkhead change, in the process you upgrade the existing axle tubes to have disc brakes rear. Pegged plus atb diffs (front and rear), ashcroft cv's (aeu2522 replacement type to fit the original axle tube and hubs, vented discs, retain but rebuild the existing transfer box with a different ratio and atb centre diff, replace the engine and gearbox (new gearbox, second hand engine), but retain the existing engine and gearbox fully assembled on a stand should you ever decide you would like to put it back to original rover carburettor'd 5 speed if it don't work out. And have absolutely no intention of selling it in your lifetime. (Had it 15 years now, and absolutely no reason to get rid of my hobby and toy)

Considering I'm not finished and could go either way on the new engine and gearbox (both sat in the garage), but you can never have enough power/ torque (ok maybe at 500 hp) and I like the sound of a semi manual (electronic / pneumatic controlled paddle shift) ....

What's the consensus of opinion, rebuilt, radically altered, retain plate or q plate, what would happen if it didn't work out and was a pig to handle or kept breaking things and I decide to put the original assembly (100% original engine plus gearbox back in)? If q does it go back to the original plate?

Yes I know that the purist landrover / defender owners would not approve but I'm curious about the views

Not that long ago plod refused to accept the existance of cloned cars, probably as they did not want to start an avalanche of claims?

My mate got a ticket in a location that he had never been to, again plod rejected his claim. He requested a copy of the camera photo and noticed a sticker in the rear window that he does not have. Turned out that the main stealer had fitted two identical RRs with the same number plate!

Marc