Exhaust Manifold Heat Insulation

stuck

Anyone used the ceramic tape that you wrap around your exhaust manifolds that supposedly reduces the temperature in your engine bay?

If so is it any good?

Does it stay where you put it or is it a temporary fix?

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section, mods please feel free to move if necessary.

Hi,

I have exhaust wrap on my V8s, yes they reduce heat but they also change the mixture on a petrol engine by making the gasses move faster as the heat is kept in. I had a noticable change on both my engines that resulted in mixture adjustment.

There was a couple of comments on this forum about fires started by oil soaking in to the material but I have not had an issue so far, any oil spilt just smoked for a while, Rimmer Bros seem to suggest high temp paint to seal the weave? This may be a good idea as mine are full of mud now but then again mud is ceramic when baked?

I've had it on for years now.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Great stuff. How well it stays put depends how you fix it, though. The stuff I've used usually comes with some stainless cable ties, but I've found myself having to order extra - particularly if doing a manifold. For odd places, annoying curves and places you can't put a cable tie, I've often resorted to using stainless dressmaking pins to fix it. Seems to work well.

Interesting what you're saying about mixture change, Missingsid. Which way did it change? I'm about to do this on my carb 3.9 and have the luxury of a standalone wideband O2 sensor, so it'll be interesting to compare. 

I bought a set of tubular manifolds with the tape on (cloth / glass fibre impregnated), got fed up with them & it & removed the lot for the following reasons:

- Not convinced there's any great gain in power etc. over half decent std. cast manifolds

- Harder to get to things with the tubular ones in the way, close to the clutch slave for example.

- Tape fibres stick in your skin, making it horrible to work on / brush against, you itch for ages afterwards

- Tape absorbs water/mud and creates tonnes of steam (annoying), rots the headers if they're not stainless, and wet/solidified mud conducts heat so renders the tape pointless

- Headers have a larger surface area and thinner wall than a cast lump so you also get more steam and more under-bonnet heat

As an (eye-wateringly expensive) alternative, I had my cast manifolds ceramic coated by Zircotech.  Didn't really do any before/after comparisons as I fitted them before I had the engine properly mapped.  Avoids lots of the issues listed by Fridge. Although some areas do look suspiciously rusty, I'll have to have a proper look.

I've also got hold of one of those IR cameras for my phone so may try and take some pictures when its good and hot and see if it makes a difference.

I wrapped the manifold and down pipe of my 200Tdi with the glass cloth type bandage tape.  It does make a considerable difference to temperatures under the bonnet.  I also have no rust at all on the whole of the down pipe, the bandage protecting the high temperature paint I sprayed it with before installation (the mid and aft sections have been repainted and later replaced in the interim).  I don't know if it has had any influence on performance, but scientifically it will have some benefit.  I don't drive the vehicle hard enough to notice any change, though.

You need steel retainers.  The kits come with a few stainless ties similar in concept to cable ties.  I didn't have enough and used a single plastic tie over a thick section, but it melted.  I don't know if they can burn, but I wouldn't recommend repeating my mistake - if you need more ties, go and buy some steel ones.