Winter Tyres on a Land-rover?

I put the winter tyres on the VW camper that my daughter drives (It came with 2 - the previous owners used it to go Skiing in France)

and was asked by a work mate if I intended to do the same to my Puma 110 CSW

My immediate response was that all 4X4 tyres were winter tyres, but is that true?

I realise that a thin/narrow tyre with aggressive tread will dig down through thin snow coverings to find the traction surface underneath, and a fat / wide tyre might get on top of the surface of a deep snow fall so you could travel over it (maybe) And if you wanted to float over the top you possibly wouldn't want an aggressive digging tread?

but what about Ice?

We do get Snow, in 2009 we got 12" overnight - the 110 was fine, but we get much more ice than snow, snow is rare, but you can get ice for weeks on end.

there must be some value in winter tyres, the Americans are very fond of them - and in Germany they are a required fitment by law

I have a fairly hair raising ride to work when its icy, - 4 wheel drive is great to get up the hills, but sliding down the hill on ice you have four wheel brakes - same as everyone else, only you have about 1/2 tonne of additional heavy metal!

- so should I be thinking of Winter tyres, and do they make them for Defender fitments - anybody got any ideas?

I used to swap road tyres for the 'Mud Campaigners' to go off-road but I got old and lazy and bought a 2nd 110 (old but with a V8) and put them on that, but because it was old - its now having new chassis (and new everything else it seems!)

I certainly don't want to look out the window and have to choose between light snow tyres , deep snow tyres , Ice tyres , summer on road tyres , mud tyres , etc - and I no longer have 5 different land-rovers to put them all on!!

And lastly (promise) If I was having 2 New Tyres, on my 110 CSW should they go on the front or the Back (the other pair are good at about 75% tread

When picking up a hire car in Germany I was offered a choice of winter or "normal". Winter tread was little different to normal. Turned out that the main difference was in the compound used. Winter compounds remain flexible at lower temperatures. So use will depend on likely temperature, not just snow or ice.

Modern winter tyres have very flexible rubber with lots of thin lines in amongst the tread which grip the ice and snow, but in normal driving will wear out quickly. I would suggest you carry tyre socks or chains in the car, they will cost about the same as a set of winter tyres, but won't wear out and can be put on/off when needed. A good combination is tyres socks on front, chains rear.

I saw an ad the other day for "winter tyres", they were a set of the old Goodyear Grand Prix S. Most modern cars run on what would of been called "low profile tyres" years ago, that's why there's a push for "winter tyres" because modern cars are turned towards handling and performance tyres.

And of course, people end up buying more tyres.

Proper winter tyres are great on ice, since experiencing a couple of spin outs on black ice in 2010 I have had winter tyres on the van from 1st November through to 1st March, not had the Disco road worthy for a winter yet but I have my eye on a set of proper winter tyres for the road and will swap between them and the Cooper STTs when we plan to go off road, just need to get the bloomin thing on the road first though :(

What exactly do you mean by 'all 4x4 tyres'?

Generally I just have AT tyres on all year round. I suspect that most tyres won't be much cop on sheet ice, whether they are winter tyres or not. The softer rubber is only likely to help on tarmac, I can't see them helping much on ice.

It's about traction;

• You will have traction a higher percentage of the time with softer tyres on.
  • You will have more traction even more of the time with 4wd.

Going out on ice, given the choice of a 2wd car with winter tyres or a Landy with normal road tyres I know which one I'd choose.

Look for the snowflake in a mountain symbol on the tyre. If it does not have that symbol, it is not a winter tyre. as with all tyres, There is also a wide range of capability even once it has that rating. Where I live the roads are covered in snow and ice 6 months of the year. "Good" winter tyres are night and day better than a good all season tyre. Four wheel drive is a waste of time for road driving. Tyres are much, much more important.

severe_snowflake.gif

I live down a very steep unmade track & in winter it can freeze along it's length.

A couple of my neighbours have Rav4's, Freelanders etc & struggle to get out, the cottage at the bottom is owned by a retired lady that drives a Fiesta, never seen her not get out yet :rofl:

Tyre choice can help compensate for bad driving but isn't a substitute for good driving!

Bloody funny seeing an elderly lady in a Fiesta passing a 4x4 though :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

With a 4x4 its not as clear cut as its made out to be , on hard pack , or ice then a true winter compound tyre will make a lot of difference , but when you get into deep snow , especially at temps not so low then a heavy lugged tyre is better , Probably the best combination would be a winter tyre and carry chains or a MT and carry chains . Chains are ultimately the biggest plus . The previous is based on winter recovery and plowing . So in the end its down to exactly what you need to achieve , and conditions at the time. With a normal vehicle then a winter tyre is definite winner , as deep snow will stop you by getting packed underneath and then doesnt matter what tyres you have . JMHO

I live in the alps and ran General Tracker at2's occasionally in the winter, they were 75% better than the toyo open country M/T's i have on just now. Ideally snow tyres like i have on the wife's a6 will get you everywhere safely!

• Like 1

The great thing about this forum is that the 'to and fro' of the debate sometimes distils the real essence of the question

What I realise is that:

I want a set of tyres that will grip on the sheet Ice that coats the very steep windy single track road I uncontrollably slide down on my way to work when its freezing.

best tyre to brake on sheet ice

IIRC there are possibly some legal complications with studded tyres in the UK, somthing about causing damage to the pavement -TBH, a good set of winter tyres are likely your best bet, IIRC Nokkian(sp?) are well regarded by the Scandies, and they should know :)

IIRC there are possibly some legal complications with studded tyres in the UK, somthing about causing damage to the pavement -TBH, a good set of winter tyres are likely your best bet, IIRC Nokkian(sp?) are well regarded by the Scandies, and they should know :)

Not sure I agree with that, yes the Scandinavians get more snow/cold weather than us but therein lies the problem. Their weather is different. Some of the Scandinavian countries are snow covered for 6 months of the year, not going to require the same tyres as somewhere with 6 days.

Winter tyres are the best choice for any temperature below 6 degC or so. Softer compound, sipes, etc, etc.

If you're putting them on your Landy, get a set of 4, not just 2.

It may be expensive but they last for years and you will not be wearing out your "summer" tyres from November to March.

I just got a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 235/85/16 and they are perfect. Not too wide either.

Good luck

LRmud