Anyone on here do EDM wire machining?

robertspark

As per the title....

need some internal splines (32) cut into a transfer box input gear, found a fella over near blackburn, thought I'd check on here if someone wanted the business first?

got all of the spec's on the external spline (got to find the sheet of paper at first) and have the shaft too.

Also would like the gear recase hardened as I'm lead to believe they are case hardened as standard, I've not got a furnace or oxy acetylene or I'd have a go myself

Thanks for your time / interest

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

ejparrott, thanks for coming back to me on this one (I did wondering if you did it as I'd looked at your link but wasn't sure if it was more for production runs than one off's).

Haven't got it done yet (not had a chance to get across to the engineering firm, I try to tie it in with a site visit normally out of the office).

I'll say I'm in no hurry with my build, I'm just making steady progress, long build list and just ticking things off.

The spline I'm hoping to have cut into a standard LT230 input gear (26T / 33mm gear width, FTC 5089) is as follows:

Number of Teeth - 31
Diametral Module - 1.09247
Pressure Angle - 30º
Pitch Diameter - 33.86667
Base Circle Diameter - 29.32932
Major Diameter - 34.72 - 34.34
Minor Diameter - 31.37 - 31.12
T.I.F. Diameter (maximum) - 31.953
minimum fillet radius - 0.29
circular tooth thickness max. effective - 1.422
circular tooth thickness min. actual - 1.321
measure over pins minimum actual - 37.424
pin diameter - 2.438
does the above help in machine setup?
I've also got the male mainshaft and a matching splined yoke which can be used for fit testing.
Thanks for your time / interest,
Rob

It doesn't get used very often. There's a job coming up for it in the new year that'll occupy it for a while, but it's not an every day machine, and we do use it for one offs as well as short runs.

I'll have to have a think about the drawing, if you can supply a CAD file then we're well away

Well, this spline has got me baffled.....

I got the info above on the mainshaft spline direct from Tremec (the gearbox manufacturer), and I've got a driveshaft yoke for a 31 spline ford (reportedly a mustang)

The problem is I cannot quite get the female spline to align with the male spline (when calculating + drawing them), the reason behind this is although complex confusing.

i've found a copy of the Machinery's handbook, and given that the gearbox is American, and the 31 spline yoke is american, one would think that it would align with the ANSI or more correctly the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) guidance.

The basics are, given it's a 31 spline mainshaft, and from the "metric" spline information given above has a Diametral Module of 1.09247, which translates to a diametral pitch of 23.25... the Diametral Module is a bit of an odd ball one, for anyone in the know given cutters "normally" come in standard sizes, and given it's american, and aligns with some of the older 31 spline stuff, I thought that it would align with imperial, which it almost does, given the standard diametral pitch for automotive splines seems to be 24 http://www.markwilliams.com/schmaxles.aspx

I've posted a question on the eng tips forum out of curiosity : http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=376816

Long and short, drawn the external one from the numbers given, struggling to draw the internal one / calculate the numbers to draw the internal one from all the formulas given in the Machinery's Handbook.

ahh well, another day another lesson..