Gearbox mounts

Just wondering through the range of gearboxes used are all the mountings the same? E.g. could you drop an R380 where an LT95 was without welding new mounts?

I'm just curious whether there is much difference between them? I realise that the length and width is most likely going to be different but the position they are mounted in are they the same?

I took an LT95 out of my V8 1972 RRC chassis and fitted a ZFHP22 with the normal transfer box. It all lined up except where the really old SS exhaust touched the auto pan. As far as I can tell it's why the mounts are bolt on, so rover could change about without having to mess with the chassis. With props not being an issue, gearstick might be? I was glad not to have that issue, as making a selector holder took long enough. (made worse because I'd never seen an original :) )

Do you mean where a lt85 has been , as lt 95 wasnt fitted into the defender .

If a particular gearbox was fitted in a particular chassis at some point then it should be possible to do.

eg a auto from a discovery will fit in defender chassis with its crossmember and a little mod to the discovery cross member, or use the r380 cross member . Later defenders used a welded in gearbox chassis mount , with an lt85 defender you have to dump the original cross member which has not got gearbox mounts (it uses bolt on direct to chassis mounts) and use the r 380 cross member .

The lt95 was used in the stage 1 v8 109 so there might well be mountings that would cross over to use in a defender chassis which is only very slightly different in overall dimensions IIRC HTSH

Thanks for the replies, I apologise I actually meant to post this in the International Forum as it's not a Defender as rightly pointed out.

Basically I'm looking to change an LT95 for a 5 speed box like an R380......yes I could just fit an overdrive but I was looking for a more modern box that is shall we say smoother.