Series 3 88 top speed question

cra42

Just got a 1980 88 series III diesel. Is it normal to only get up 45 miles per hour? Is it possible to change gearing? If so who has parts? I`m not looking to go 80, but would like to be able to drive on freeway. Thanks for any leads.

Ryan

What's the service history?

What's the maintenance history?

Have you got an overdrive?

In good condition the 2286 diesel should be able to do more than that, but it depends on having its maintenance done at the specified intervals. Even without an overdrive, you should be able to do 50

The maximum power output is quoted at 4000RPM - so the thing should do that. For a SWB on 600 x 16 or 206 x 16 tyres (which have virtually the same rolling radius) the thing runs at 15.4 MPH per 1000 RPM - so it should do 61.6 MPH before it hits the limit. LWB's go a bit faster as they have bigger tyres - I've seen 65 without overdrive.

If its in good order (starts well and doesn't smoke) I'd start by making sure the throttle opens properly. The thing should be set so that when the pedal is in its stop (bolt under pedal) the throttle arm on the pump is fully open. If its not - adjust the linkage so that it is. Be careful and make sure that when the thing is fully open that its the stop under the pedal that is the limit rather than the pump lever. The reason is to relieve the pump lever of excessive load which will wear its spindle and cause it to leak.

The instruction for setting the pump are to see if it blacksmokes at 49 in THIRD!

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't know when it was last done, give it a good service, quality parts, oil, filters, check the timing etc. But I'd say you're going to need an overdrive or bigger tyres. The 109 had 7.50R16 tyre's, the 2286 is capable of swinging them, so you could try that. You are going to need the engine in tip top condition though

What size tyres are you running?

You won't get 80 out of a series diesel even with an overdrive.

You have to bear in mind it's about as aerodynamic as a house brick, and powered by a wound up elastic band!

Is it running out of revs or (more likely) just running out of power?

Jon

I can cruise down the motorway at an indicated 65 out of my diesel 88 with an overdrive and free wheeling hubs. I do not know how accurate the speedo is but that is not flat out. A little quicker than I would say it truly comfortable but not totally flat out.

45 is a bit too slow but the 2286 diesel is renowned for its slowness so if you really want to go much beyond 60mph, cut your losses and swap in a different engine now.

If you want to keep it, 1st thing to do is a damn good service, including things like adjusting tappets, setting up the injection pump, etc. etc. before pratting about with gearing / overdrives etc.

If it's on standard little tyres, going up to 7.50's (235/85R16 in modern speak) which were a factory option would gain you ~10% if memory serves.

Many years ago I borrowed a farmers 88 pick-up, that was the diesel with the rotary injection pump, not sure if the later ones had the inline pump.

That was on 7.50's and would do 40 easily but flat out at 45, just felt like it hit a wall at 45.

I thought the petrol's were only good for 70, so 45 sounds about right to me.

60 Hp in a Austin Metro would get you to 90 mph, add in 4WD and brick aerodynamics, maximum torque is at 1800rpm, it may not have the power to reach its 4000rpm max HP in 4th gear, and of course its 35 years old.

If you want to keep it, 1st thing to do is a damn good service, including things like adjusting tappets, setting up the injection pump, etc. etc. before pratting about with gearing / overdrives etc.

If it's on standard little tyres, going up to 7.50's (235/85R16 in modern speak) which were a factory option would gain you ~10% if memory serves.

My engine was reconditioned by the previous owner a couple of years ago and I am running it on 235/85 tyres with the overdrive so my 65 is with everything s good as i can get. I did notice a big difference when i fitted the larger tyres I gained about 7mph

Guys grateful for all the help. Turns out my 88 has a Toro overdrive. Me and the son got the Landy up to 65 mph on a Houston freeway. Really wouldn`t recommend, but at least I know the ol` girl can.

a well maintained series (engine permitting) is just as capable of travelling at similar speeds to any other 4x4 on the road. but it is IMPORTANT to keep on top of it especially steering and brakes.

its just the wind noise. some times its just horrendous! although i do drive a tin can after all

More a matter of adjusting your expectations & style, the vehicle was built at a time when being able to do 60mph in anything was by no means guaranteed, and any other car of the era you'd feel every mph of that just as much. Relax, take it easy, don't hurry the old thing, enjoy the ride, smile & wave.

I ran a Series III LWB diesel for four years. Initially, it would sit at 60m.p.h. all day but wouldn't go any faster, not even downhill, because that was the limit on the governor (with 750/16 tyres).

Later, I fitted an overdrive and it struggled to get to 60 on the flat but would go faster downhill or with a tailwind. Clearly it was over-geared with the overdrive. Reading the comments above, it seems the governor may have been set a bit conservatively and the injection system probably (ok, definitely!) needed servicing. Either way, hitting a limit at 45 suggests a tuning issue, as even teeny tiny tyres would allow more than that, especially on a SWB. Series diesels are very slow, just not THAT slow.