Seized Transfer box linkage query - 300Tdi Auto

Dave-Mid Wales

Hi all

Hopefully this'll be a quick and simply query for someone with more technical knowledge than me.

I've got a 1997 D1 Auto (Japanese import) with the usual seized transfer lever issue, due entirely to a lack of use and preventative maintenance on my part as it all worked (stiffly) when we first got it.

I've accessed the transfer lever from above, removed it, freed it off, regreased it and refitted it, reattaching the linkages exactly as before. It now engages and disengages diff lock easily but still refuses to budge as far as H-N-L is concerned. (The auto gearbox is in Neutral, the transfer lever is stuck in H as before.) It's obviously now nothing to do with the transfer lever itself so I've checked the H-L linkage and it's fine, nothing's broken and both clevis pins move freely, which led me to the pivot-lever thingy on the end of the cross shaft housing on the transfer box itself.

I've had a pair of grips on this pivot-lever but it's not budging at all, although (as yet) I haven't tried to really force it (nor hit it with a hammer!) At the moment I've just left it soaking in penetrating oil.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Am I right in assuming that this pivot-lever moves in a slight left to right arc? If so how much force can I exert on it to try and get it to move? Trouble is, I'm not entirely convinced that this pivot-bar is actually seized despite having the main gearbox in N, hence my reluctance to really force it.

Is there another way of ''forcing'' the lever to move from H to L on an auto box other than when stationary with the main gearbox in N? (I haven't as yet tried it 'on the move' switching from D to N. Might this work when all else fails?)

Am I missing something else here?

Suggestions/ advice gratefully received and thanks in advance for all help.

Dave

I would advise that you put the car up on axle stands with all four wheels off the ground, start the car and, with the top cover off put it in gear, then, with then wheels turning, engage neutral as you would normally, see if it will engage diff lock and high and low range, if it doesn't then it can only be the internal gear yoke jammed and not engaging the dog tooth clutch, and that means the removal and an over-haul of the transfer box.