Wading Plugs

I know what wading plugs do (and where they go :) ) but how much water do you need to see before you fit them?

I've done a few days out greenlaning and have now driven through a couple of fords and a few puddles too before it occured to me "I don't have any wading plugs".

What are the general rules for using them? (should they be left in/out? etc)

LR recommend fitting them if the water depth is likely to exceed 0.5 [1/2] metre or 20 inches while the vehicle is moving, from the Defender 2000 model year owners handbook.

you can fit them & leave them in place for normal day to day driving BUT you must remove them to check for leaks from the timing case seals/crankshaft rear seal/clutch fluid leakage at intervals you'll be happy with, or just fit them before each trip & remove them when you have returned home.

& Welcome to LR4x4.com :)

From my own experience if you are only fording clean water and forget to fit the plug you are unlikely to do much damage at all. I have regularly had water over the bonnet while green laning and have never fitted the plugs. While changing gearbox and cambelt I have been inside the housings and there was no sign of any muck whatsoever. When Steve changed his cambelt the housing was almost completely full of silt but then he had no plugs in at a pay-and play site where he spent half his timme stationary in a muddy bombhole up to the headlamps.

So if you plan on doing the latter fit the plugs. If you only do running water while greenlaning probably not too big a problem if you fit them or not.

If you drive in water, clean or otherwise that is likely to fully or partially submerge the gearbox, then without wading plugs fitted you will run the risk of flooding the clutch plate. Its ok if you enter the water in the correct gear and don't declutch mid stream, but if you do there will usually be insufficient friction for the clutch to drive the truck out of the water.

Bill.

LR recommend fitting them if the water depth is likely to exceed 0.5 [1/2] metre or 20 inches while the vehicle is moving, from the Defender 2000 model year owners handbook.

Oops :blink:

Img_0095.jpg

"No I don't think we'll bring two brand new Freelanders (wading depth 500mm) through here" :lol: