D2 TD5 struggling under load

reb78

4250 in aTD5? I thought the power peak range was between 1500 and 2200, perhaps the engine rev limiter is about 4000rpm?

I dont think I have ever had mine over 2500, mind you I have got the over size torque converter in mine

Rev limiter is 4750. I don't rev it that high often and it will cut out at lower revs, just noticed it the first time when I booted it out of a junction and hit 4250.

Could it be that your wastegate is wound up to much and the boost is too high ?

Incidentally I bought a VDO MAF after I killed one with a jet wash - and it worked really well.

Perhaps, but I don't think so. Nanocom calculates boost, so it's difficult to know the actual figure, but I think they were pretty normal.

Thanks Neil.

I had bitten the bullet before you posted and ordered a new MAF - this has fixed it. Its weird because the old MAF was reading throughout the entire rev range. 66ish at idle and then peaking at 668 which, apparently is when a limiter kicks in and cuts the fuelling. Because it was giving a reading that wasnt far out from what was expected, i didnt jump in and replace it.

The new MAF reads 56/57 at idle and on a few runs last night peaked at 643. So, it seems that the calibration of the old MAF was out as 66 is high looking at most folks figures for idle.

I have had this problem with two MAFs now and all of them - including this current one - have been identical part numbers. Lets hope this is it solved!

I figured it must be that when you said disconnecting it cured it - it was contradicted by the readings but, what was that thing Sherlock holmes said ? - when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth :)