Trip to the Pyrenees

GBMUD

Chris,

Before I book a ferry etc, any plans for campsites? Do you intend to stay in the same place each night, or move on and carry all your stuff to the next place after a day's laning? Not that it's an organised affair, you understand, I just want to hound you on your holiday around France & Spain. ;)

No plans. What would you like to do. I am rather hopeing to get some idea of the best area to visit before I book camping - it is not likely that they will be full at that time of year so a late booking sgould be OK...

Chris

... and does anyone want to group together (not in an organised manner, you understand) for the run down, I was thinking of ferry out on the wednesday prior to and ferry home the wednesday after, going Dover / Dunkirk and ambling down on the autoroute.

Mo

Not made any real plans yet about when to go down/back. If my plans happen co-incide with anyone elses then a dis-organised convoy would be OK. :)

Chris

They call it GPL over there. :) Other than that I know sweet FA about it, sorry.

Chris

Just got back from 8 weeks over their. GPL readly available in France approx .75E per litre. Practically every motorway service area sells it. Not available in Spain on forcourts, only in gas depots.

Petrol prices about the same as here and diesel a bit cheaper.

Anybody thinking of trailering and using the motorways be warned that it is expensive for multi axle vehicles. One leg alone roughly 400ks cost me 140 euros.

Ther is a new operator doing the Bilbao route with some very good deals

this year approx £160.00 return and that was for a 10meter motorhome.

If you are camping might well be worth joining the C&C club big discounts on the ferries and campsites often available.

Not sure that I will be able to make it with the landy but will probably already be out their in the Motorhome.

Dave

Ferry Booking

I recieved details from another forum user about potential cheap ferry deals. Here is the text, verbatim:

Just been reading about your trip and thought I'd pass on some information - we (me and a couple of friends) have just got back froma trip to Spain and Portugal - we got the feery from Portsmouth to Bilbao and whilst not the most exciting time it was good to unwind both going out and coming back - cabins were smal and basis but Ok .

we booked through Allsports Logistics and it cost under £400 for two people

The guys phone number is 01873 859500/850025

I have no involvment or relationship - just a satisfied customer

TJ101 also did some research and came up with this from https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/:

Online Ferry Booking Outbound crossing:

Plymouth to Roscoff Tue 8 May 2007 23:00

Vessel is PONT L'ABBE Inbound crossing:

Roscoff to Plymouth Wed 16 May 2007 15:30

Vessel is PONT L'ABBE

Vehicle: MPV/4x4 5.00m x 1.83m

Trailer: None Vehicle: MPV/4x4 5.00m x 1.83m

Trailer: None

Passengers: 2 Adults, Outbound crossing. 2 Adults, Inbound crossing.

Price Details

Price 319.00 GBP

Please note that the price quoted above is only guaranteed if the booking is completed now by debit card. There will be a handling fee of 3 GBP on bookings made by credit card and/or non UK debit cards.

Price Breakdown

Outbound Ferry Number Price

Vehicle and Passengers 157.00 GBP

Inside 2 berth couchette with communal facilities 1

15.00 GBP

Inbound Ferry Number Price

Vehicle and Passengers 157.00 GBP

Website discount 1 -10.00 GBP

Total 319.00 GBP

Including non refundable deposit of

Which is due today 25.00 GBP

Your card will be debited on 27 Mar 2007 for the balance of 294.00 GBP

The formatting went a little astray but you will work it out. :)

I willl be booking my own ferry before the middle of next week, it currently still looks like being Dover-Dunkirk, out Wednesday 9th AM and returning Wednesday 16th PM.

Cheers

Chris

hey steady on i didnt copy that email to Mo, (dont have his email yet!) but as you offered Tim does sound good thank you.

Well i wondon who that leaves ! :)

Ok, but i pick where we have lunch,, Paris is looking good !! whos round !

As promised, I spoke to my friend Mike yesterday. He went on a 2 week green-laneing holiday to the Pyrenees during October and had a great time, reporting that most of the tracks he drove were dry and well made but rough enough to be fun/interesting. He took his Range Rover and claims not to have scratched it too badly so I hope it will be OK for posh types in newish roadgoing Defenders...

The area that Mike stayed in was around a town called La Seu d'urgell where there seems to be hotels and campsites as well as being only 13km from Andorra for those all important duty frees.... including diesel IIRC. :) So, unless anyone has a better solution/information, a base near La Seu d'Urgell seems best.

I have been shown a couple of routes we can drive in that area and, having seen an example, I am keen to buy some "En COCHE por la montana" (By car in the mountains) books. Written in Spanish there are quite a number covering different areas. They give tulip diagrams for a number of different routes, each with notes and GPS points. My Spanish is ever-so slightly non existant and I have not found anywhere that sells thses books in the UK - can anyone find a Spanish retailer online that will ship to the UK ahead of time? The ISBN number of the one Mike has is: 84-89008-20-5 but that is for a different area.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Before I book a ferry etc, any plans for campsites? Do you intend to stay in the same place each night, or move on and carry all your stuff to the next place after a day's laning? Not that it's an organised affair, you understand, I just want to hound you on your holiday around France & Spain. ;)

No specific plans for a campsite as yet. Mike can reccomend a good but costly hotel. I think I would plan to be on the one campsite for most of the time, I cannot be doing with packing up all my gear every day.

Chris

As promised, I spoke to my friend Mike yesterday. He went on a 2 week green-laneing holiday to the Pyrenees during October and had a great time, reporting that most of the tracks he drove were dry and well made but rough enough to be fun/interesting. He took his Range Rover and claims not to have scratched it too badly so I hope it will be OK for posh types in newish roadgoing Defenders...

The area that Mike stayed in was around a town called La Seu d'urgell where there seems to be hotels and campsites as well as being only 13km from Andorra for those all important duty frees.... including diesel IIRC. :) So, unless anyone has a better solution/information, a base near La Seu d'Urgell seems best.

I have been shown a couple of routes we can drive in that area and, having seen an example, I am keen to buy some "En COCHE por la montana" (By car in the mountains) books. Written in Spanish there are quite a number covering different areas. They give tulip diagrams for a number of different routes, each with notes and GPS points. My Spanish is ever-so slightly non existant and I have not found anywhere that sells thses books in the UK - can anyone find a Spanish retailer online that will ship to the UK ahead of time? The ISBN number of the one Mike has is: 84-89008-20-5 but that is for a different area.

Cheers

Chris

Looks good Chris.

Mo

• 3 weeks later...