Trip to the Pyrenees

GBMUD

3? Not many anyway, compared to the number that were interested in the first place. Still time I guess. :)

Chris

BTW, how many is it really?

I'm still planning on being there but haven't booked anything yet. Will probably have at least one friend with me, but just the one truck.

I did not intend anyone to feel guilty. I know people have commitments or may not like the timing of the event or may have an impractically inefficient V8 (had to get that in!). I look forward to seeing anyone who can make it. :)

Chris

Sold it :(

I was gonna try and blag a spare seat but the dates not very good for me.

Well its gone from "timing hasn't worked out well for me." to "dates not very good for me"

Would be good to have you along Mark, sure a seat/floor/roof rack could be found somewhere !! :huh:

Disaster - looks like I'll be on a training course in Glasgow on 10th, so that gives 24 hours to drive north to south across half of Europe in a diesel LandRover.

I'm keeping my eyes & ears open for relocating the course (to Paris? More likely to London) but it's not looking good for me :(

Having existing holiday plans doesn't cut the mustard then?

Chris

By I really wierd coincidence I also find myself booked on the 0800 Dover / Dunkirk sailing on the 9th of May :) Returning on the 20th, 1801 sailing though - figured we got four extra days holiday for two days annual leave and about a fiver extra on the ferry.

Provisionally I'll have three mates with me.

Disaster - looks like I'll be on a training course in Glasgow on 10th, so that gives 24 hours to drive north to south across half of Europe in a diesel LandRover.

I'm keeping my eyes & ears open for relocating the course (to Paris? More likely to London) but it's not looking good for me :(

Why not just go out for slightly different but overlapping dates? Ah...just realised you're in Spain before the 9th...guess you won't really fancy doing Spain->Scotland->France, will you? :(

Having existing holiday plans doesn't cut the mustard then?

Last time I went away, I was told in no uncertain terms that I should rearrange my holiday, since I'd asked for the training course. If I miss the course, I can head into the exam unprepared or wait another six months... I'm still wondering whether I can drive the length of Europe in a night and a day... <_<

Last time I went away, I was told in no uncertain terms that I should rearrange my holiday, since I'd asked for the training course. If I miss the course, I can head into the exam unprepared or wait another six months... I'm still wondering whether I can drive the length of Europe in a night and a day... <_<

Your course is on the 10th is it, the Thursday? Why not come down on the Friday/Saturday? This is a greenlane trip so there is nothing to miss as such if you are not there on the Friday/Saturday. We/I/some people will be around Monday and Tuesday too and some even longer so you will have someone to play with. IIRC you were planning a longer trip anyway so perhaps go do your own thing the week after?

Does this add Christmas hope?

Did that angle gauge find it's way to you/your parents OK?

Chris

I'm torn between a qualification I need to do my job, and a good holiday! I'm definately going to go away on holiday, it's just a question of where and when. I'd intended to do a weekend's laning, then head on to Barcelona, so I may just pole up on the Saturday sometime and see where you all are. I won't know where the course will be until a couple of weeks before though, so bye-bye cheap ferry deals!

I've not been home to check on the angle gauge yet - I'll let you know.

I won't know where the course will be until a couple of weeks before though, so bye-bye cheap ferry deals!

I've not been home to check on the angle gauge yet - I'll let you know.

Norfolk line seem to have good deals on all of the time, I would not worry about it as long as you are not booking on the day.

I assume that it was your parents house I sent the gauge to, I assumed they might have mentioned the arrival of a parcel wrapped in an old copy of Razzle. :P

Chris

I'm very keen to go on this - but am not that keen on having to drive a thousand k's or so each way! Can't argue that the longest drive will be the cheapest - but it's still a long way.

So, I wondered if anyone would like to share the driving - either in my truck or yours? Obviously it will halve the cost for both of us too.

An option to consider for anyone similarly disposed.

Si

• 1 month later...

This thread has been quiet for ages. Things have moved on a little...

Following advice received from another party it seems that even in May at such altitudes temperatures at night can get rather low - circa freezing. While this is not a problem while tucked up in a sleeping bag it would be jolly chilly hanging around and cooking food or sitting about enjoying a beer or two... With this in mind I started looking into the cost of a hotel. Rates vary from place to place but Mo suggested one in Andorra where 6 nights in a double would cost €386 - it is 4 star too! I hope they do twin rooms as well as doubles. :) One question is whether we should be planning to stay in one place for the whole time or think about staying somewhere different each night. Staying in one place has advantages like being able to leave stuff there and not cart it about, moving about may mean less commuting but more hunting about for good places to stay. Another option which occurred to me is that we could consider renting a house for a week. I understand that Bish is bringing his wife so she could do all the cooking and cleaning for us. :D This may all depend on the route chosen or my continued ability to walk after Mrs Bish sees this...

On the subject of routes, I know that Tim has been in negotiation with a few companies about getting pre-researched road-books. These look expensive on the face of it but if shared between a small group start to look a lot little more reasonable. I am still trying to track down some of the "En coche por la Montana" books. I have a few leads which I am following up and hope to have some results in the next couple of weeks - fingers crossed. I have yet to discover any mapping which might be equivalent to our OS 1:50k and show the green-lanes on so some form of road book looks like the only option for the time being.

Cheers

Chris

Just for the record, I now know that the following people are coming...

Me

Bish

JST

TJ101

Geoff Beaumont

SimonR

Mo Murphy

Anyone I have missed or who would like to join in?

I would desperately, desperately love to join you but it looks like I won't know if I'm able until a month beforehand :( Mrs Turbo and I may drive down to Madrid & Barcelona around then anyway, perhaps catch you all on the return journey!

Doesn't matter if you come at short notice. George can help with the houskeeping. :D

Chris

I'm for staying in one place and venturing forth from there, preferably hotel as it'll be too cold for me to camp, despite my insulation :) Andorra seems to have more hotels and a wider assortment of grades of hotel and would be convenient for all that duty-free shopping that some of the chaps seem keen on and of course cheaper diesel :) The Escaldes-Engordany area in the south of Andorra is not too far from where we were considering to stay anyway.

EDIT to add link - hotel list for that bit of Andorra

John, why not give Madrid and Barcelona a miss and come straight to us, cut out the boring cultural bit beforehand then :) Mrs Turbo could probably help Mrs. Bish with the cleaning and cooking then ... coat on and running :D

Mo