Whats the furthest you have travelled in your Defender

Never gone far in a proper Defender, but starting from the UK:

In the 109: To St Petersburg, then 1200km round Lake Ladoga, and back home again. Mostly towing a trailer. Did that 3 times. 109 does contain some Defender parts ;)

Bulgaria & back with Miketomcat in TSD's Ibex (contains bits of Defender)

In the Freelander: Bosnia & back, Andorra & back in 48hrs.

never in a defender, never massive mileages, but i have regularly completed newport shropshire to south side of the humber bridge and back, in my series.

dont bother with sticking to 60 though, that is just frustrating and tedious, i tend to comfortably sit at 75 unless im in a rush. (Apart from that massively annoying stretch of the M1 J28-32)

usually about 3 hrs ish each way and i still feel fresh coming out the other side its all about setting the seats right i think

When my daughter was 18 months old I managed to convince her indoors that it was a good idea for the three of us to travel from Tullamore, IRL (190 Miles from Belfast ferry) to Oban and onto Mull, in my 90 H/T with 3 front seats.

We had a ball and while I would do it again, I bought a 110 CSW for a reason! It also snowed the whole way from Loch Lomond to Oban... that was pretty special!

All in all 750 mile trip with loads of... character.

2300km?

I dropped my wife off at Naples airport, and when she landed at Gatwick she called to say that she had forgotten her car and house keys - left with me in my 110 Td5. I had to drive all the way back, never exceeded 60mph nor stopped for more than a cup of tea/fuel and (15 mins?) for one heavy rainstorm on the Autostrada outside Turin. Got to Calais just in time for a ferry, didn't sleep as too full of caffeine, collected wife from her mother at Horsham, collected the car from her brother near Heathrow (she had flown out by a different route) and then had to fetch petrol as she ran the car out just before home in Wiltshire. It took 27 hours all in. I might not choose to do it again.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my 110 Defender 300tdi for a week now, so far the longest journey was from Bolton back to London - 250 miles.

In my old 90 Pre Defender 2.5TD I towed a trailer from Tunbridge Wells to Exeter and back, very long day, especially when the alternator died at Exeter and on the way home the fuel solenoid finally shut between j9-j8 on the M25. Fortunately I had a spare battery, that with some creative wiring, got me home.

The longest journey I do regularly is Melton Mowbray to Saint Simeon in the Ile de France, about 430 miles via the Channel Tunnel. Start at 04:00AM to get there for about 15:00 including all stops. It seems to like France and the French seem to get out of the way rather more than they did when I drove a Vauxhall Vectra!

I do about 24,000 miles a year in my 110CSW, so it does get used a fair bit.

• 2 weeks later...

We clocked up about 2000 miles driving to the Alps and touring around there before coming back in our 300tdi.

3 weeks ago I drove a 25 year old V8 ninety from Aberdeen to Bristol after buying it unseen off eBay. That was about 450 miles in an unknown vehicle. It was also quite a nervous journey...

LOL you have a luxury 4wd and your concerned about big k's

When I was a lad it was load up the SII 109 hook up the caravan behind it and drive up to central otago for the summer holidays.... no mod cons like aircon, in car music or even diagonal seat belts lol somewhere between 4-6hrs driving often with the cab heater on and the windows open to give it just that little bit more cooling on the big hills.... when we got there it was 2 weeks of 4wd'n, then hook the caravan on and drive home and other than the poor ride and gearbox noise it never missed a beat

Its memories like that, that have motivated me to rebuild the 109

Longest trip I have done WITHOUT refuel is a tad over 2000km ( this was part of a 5000km+) safari I did around Botswana and Namibia with my wife and 2 kids, at the time 1 and 2 years old in my 143 inch double cab (yes you read right 143 inch).

The vehicle has 2 long range tanks of 125 and 60 litres plus I had a few jerry cans, we explored the North Western rivers and national parks of Namibia, staying off the tourii routes, mostly on dirt tracks. Not one breakdown except for a few flat tyres ( not classified as a breakdown in Namibia, rather quite normal ), on some sections we never saw another vehicle for more than a week.... It was great!!

Longest trip I have done WITHOUT refuel is a tad over 2000km ( this was part of a 5000km+) safari I did around Botswana and Namibia with my wife and 2 kids, at the time 1 and 2 years old in my 143 inch double cab (yes you read right 143 inch).

The vehicle has 2 long range tanks of 125 and 60 litres plus I had a few jerry cans, we explored the North Western rivers and national parks of Namibia, staying off the tourii routes, mostly on dirt tracks. Not one breakdown except for a few flat tyres ( not classified as a breakdown in Namibia, rather quite normal ), on some sections we never saw another vehicle for more than a week.... It was great!!

Sounds like my kind of holiday! I worked out that, if I actually do finish my 110 build one day, I could go from one end of New Zealand to the other, or very close to it, on one fill of diesel. This country is too small for someone with an adventurous spirit!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last September I had a bit of a crisis, loaded a mountain bike into my TD5 Defender and did a 3 week/7000km round trip from Sydney to Cooktown, catching up with old school friends and riding trails here and there - the first holiday by myself since I the 1990's - just camping, sleeping in the back, staying with friends and in backpackers. Rode and sea kayaked around Magnetic Island - fantastic!

Then in January this year I did Sydney to Hobart, a couple of laps of the Tasmanian south coast and back via the Victorian alps - a bit shorter maybe 4000km all up. This time the wife joined for the Tasmanian leg, so we were in hotels and B&Bs.

The Defender is a perfect vehicle for long distance roadtrips - just be prepared to tale a while.

- Matthew

Aside from the long distance overland stuff, I recently drove an ex army 110 with the n/a engine 1100 miles to Italy non-stop through the night.

Took over 28 hours including the channel tunnel , and I don't ever plan on repeating it ,or drinking another can of redbull!

The 110 chugged happily all the way though, flat out at 62mph : (

Aside from the long distance overland stuff, I recently drove an ex army 110 with the n/a engine 1100 miles to Italy non-stop through the night.

Took over 28 hours including the channel tunnel , and I don't ever plan on repeating it ,or drinking another can of redbull!

The 110 chugged happily all the way though, flat out at 62mph : (

Just curious. What sort of fuel economy did you get on that particular run?

My mates garage to repair the dam thing lol..................................Nope been 1200mile plus driving while there to Scotland for 3 week holiday and then back home and it made it ......Had it 12 years and broke down on me so I can't drive it twice. (1990 110 with a defender 200tdi)

Of course lots of things have gone wrong heater blower, lights dip stalk, hazards, oil leaks but she keept going.

The furthest I've been in my Landy in one trip is Nottingham to Le Mans for the Le Mans Classic 3 years ago.

We go every year in my TVR but when my mate said he wasn't coming any more I managed to persuade him to do one final trip in the Landy which he helped me with so often. We had an extra day and did all the WWII beaches and stuff.

My mate said afterwards it was probably the best journey we had done and he was amazed how comfortable the Landy is to be in.

I was chuffed beyond words because despite its great looks and stunning performance it would always be the TVR which got sold first in favour of me keeping the Landy.

2000km in 3 days..... one of which was packing the glider.....

drove from Maun (Botswana) to 200km south of Windhoek (Namibia) which is a rough 1000km the first day, towing a mother of a trailer built out of a land rover rear chassis and axle, packed an open class glider on the trailer on day 2, drive back to Maun on day 3.

only complications I had..... forgot my wallet, so needed to explain to several policemen why I was driving around without a licence.

customs refused to believe the glider was an aircraft because they couldn't see a propellor..... "that is a boat, why does your paperwork say aeroplane?"

post-101679-0-75213400-1426254708_thumb.jpeg