Rear pads arent clearing rust on discs

Hi all

Ive carried out a lot of work on my 1995 300tdi defender braking system as some of you may know. And its hugely improved from when i purchased it. It actually stops now haha.

6-7months ago i replaced the calipers all round and new mintex discs and pads on the rear.

Couple of months ago changed the flexis hose for braided.

And then a few weeks ago, replaced front discs and pads, and rebuilt the master cylinder.

The reason for rebuilding the master cylinder, was because the brake pedal felt poor and spongy.

Anyway, the brakes seem a big improvement, however i cant work out why the rear discs are not being cleared of their rust. The pads are lightly skimming the disc, and clearing the surface rust, but not properly sweeping the disc and polishing it as they should, as good working brakes do (like the fronts do infact). Theyve only been on six months, so arent heavily corroded, i just notice they are starting to Pitt.

The reason i replaced them was because they were excessively rusty on the rear. Not due to being worn. This led me to replace the calipers.

Has anyone got any ideas please? Could i have messed up the master cylinder rebuild?

Thanks in advance

I don't know about rear discs, but certainly on my Defender that had rear drums, the wear was very marginal as all the braking is done by the front discs. When you brake the weight is thrown forwards and taken off the rear wheels, they are braked lightly, otherwise they will be likely to lock up. I'm sure my 1990 Defender had a balance (weight-load) valve? (or I could be getting confused with my LDV Convoy). I sold the Defender a year or so ago, so I can't check.

Not sure if that helps....

Cheers

Peter

It looks like there is a pressure reducing valve to the rear brakes. Could that be throttling the pressure too much?

Cheers

Peter

Cheers Peter

The vehicle is totally unloaded most the time, but so is a friends of the same model and the discs are well polished.

You guys dont think i could have made a mistake with the master cylinder then? Brakes feel decent really

This is coming up regular now, by the standards of weird faults. I think it's a flow issue against the pressure-reducing-valve. It isn't allowing enough flow to overcome the springy-ness of the seals. And I believe the fix is to remove the calliper and push the pistons out a little with the pedal and re-fit, so the pads are already touching. Or use a brake clamp to hold fluid in the calliper like; Push down pedal, lock off rubber hose, release pedal, press pedal again, let more oil through, until the seals are fully out.

But maybe the valve is duff? I had them on Deutz and I have one on the van. They seem okay. I guess it could be duel circuitproblem, but I thought oil went to the back axel from both sides, and only from the good side if the other half blows out? It's a shuttle valve thing on some vehicles.

Thankyou for the reply. Thats interesting!

You guys dont think i could have messed up the master cylinder rebuild then? Im sure the discs were being cleaned slightly better before, but not what they should be.

The pedal feels better than it ever has done after all the work ive done though, and the brakes are pretty decent.

When i bought the vehicle, the MOT advisory was due to corroded rear discs.

I fear i may have messed up the master cylinder rebuild, all though pedal feels good. Any thoughts?

The seals in the master cylinder MUST go in the right way round and there is one for the front, and one for the rear brakes. If the rear brake seal is the wrong way round, then you may not notice it on the pedal, as most brake effect is on the front.

Les.

Thanks Les. Do you think its most likely that then? Could it be anything else?

Could be the valve not working properly. Older ones could be dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled, but I'm not sure about later ones. Either way - they will have to be taken apart I think.

Les.

Thankyou Les,

Is there anyway i can check which one it could be? The vehicle is unloaded most the time, not sure if that makes a difference.

I have tried to brake hard to get the discs to clean up, but with no luck.

Im going to get an assistant to press the pedal to see if i can see the pistons moving in the rear calipers later.

So its either poor master, or faulty bias valve do you think?

Could poor servo assistance cause it? Mind you brakes feel decent to be honest

The pictures of the discs the lines arent scoring, they just havent been cleaned well enough. The black spots are the beginning of rust and pitting. Th fronts are perfect, cleaning perfectly.

I had an assistance press the brake pedal and i check the rear calipers. The pads were moving, but there wasnt much difference between engine on and off. They havent got far to move though with new discs and pads.

Thankyou all

post-24219-0-08470500-1419965766_thumb.jpg

Hi

Those discs don't look that bad . The only way to get the rear brakes to work harder would be to put a loaded trailer on, drive and do some hard braking.

Take it to your local mot place and stick it on the rollers that'll let you know how good or bad the rear brakes are.

Good luck.

Hi

Those discs don't look that bad . The only way to get the rear brakes to work harder would be to put a loaded trailer on, drive and do some hard braking.

Take it to your local mot place and stick it on the rollers that'll let you know how good or bad the rear brakes are.

Good luck.

They arent absolutley terrible. But the pictures make them look a lot better than they are. Another year on those discs and i dont think they would be in a very good state at all. Thats what bothers me really.

Thankyou all

Thanks guys. I appreciate that getting the rear brakes tested will help me see figures of brake efficiency, however it still won't tell me why my rear discs are rusty compared to similar vehicles the same age. Other than that test, could anyone help me with my next stages of what to do?

*take no notice?

*should I be re bleeding?

*should I be replacing the Master cylinder?

*replacing the bias valve?

*master and bias valve?

Sorry to make it long winded, I haven't got the money to swap any old part with not knowing it maybe the culprit.

Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated

• Like 1

I can sympathise with you on money front.

I would swop the pads from p/s to d/s and inner and outer every week or so and see how it goes from there.

I put a rear td5 disc axle in my 110 and to be honest yours looks a whole lot better than mine which mot'd with no problems.

if you get pulses in the readings it can indicate disk or caliper issues, if you get a very low reading that improves over time that could be a bias valve issue if you get one wheel much better than the other that reverses sides on retest that could again be bias issues.

the list goes on but a experienced tester can tell you what's most likely wrong just by looking at the results.