Popular Modifications Sub-Section?

Just an idea maybe worth considering?

I was reading through Sams axle rebuild thread recently and came across his brake pipe modification whereby he fitted a stainless flexi brake pipe rather than the copper pipe to the front calipers to make certain jobs a lot easier.

This is a great little mod that i never thought of, and only stumbled across it by chance as i was reading his axle thread, and im left wondering are there loads of other little great mods that are hidden within unrelated threads?

I know we already have the tech archive, but would it be worthwhile having a list of these modifications in 1 place where it would be easy to find them?

Im ready with my hat, coat and gloves too if this seems like a daft idea

What about the tech archive?

Tech archive is more how to do particular jobs, granted there are some of the popular mods in there but I like the idea of the popular mods being listed separately. eg cutting the brake hose mounting bracket that sits on top of the swivel housing.

That said the tech archive index post doesn't seem to get updated anymore, just threads put in to the tech archive.

I think this is actually the issue now, I think it was White90 that used to do most o this, sadly he has gone by the wayside, and the system of 'nominate a thread by reporting it' just isn't widely known nor likely to be used IMHO.

I do see the subtle difference between the two, but think the tech archive could do both quite happily, as long as we don't have to rename it and include the word 'Puma' in it.

• Like 1

...as long as we don't have to rename it and include the word 'Puma' in it.

hahaha!

I wouldnt mind it being within the tech archive so long as it was a separate section if you know what i mean.

As has been mentioned the tech archive seems to be geared more towards general maintenance/repairs. Would be very useful to have a separate modification section i feel.

• Like 1

How about it is done just as an extra index post in the tech archive for popular modifications? That said the tech archive index post doesn't seem to get updated anymore, just threads put in to the tech archive.

that's because I don't know how to index threads in the tech archive, since the previous incumbent left I been left with it, so just link stuff as I see fit.

I rather like the idea of this as a separate section too - I can imagine it being attractive to new members.

Lower level modifications, as opposed to full on ground up buggy builds, may prove attractive to owners of newer vehicles too .... ?

I like the idea and find it good to try and put things in places of relevance but I also find it a pain in the hole when some info is missing, part No.s etc, posts that go in would need to be in a kind of a "how to" guide/this is what I did.

Perhaps if there are sections of peoples threads they find interesting then they could PM them to ask if they have time to write it up and PM admin of the "how to", then that thread could go into the tech archive with tags for relevant vehicles?

I did a few "how to's", not exactly hard but time consuming as you need to plan your photo's and be able to construct a decent write up, not just a before and after pic with a continuous line of "this/this/that/wiggle/wiggle and tadaa". Please don't take that as too strong a criticism but I like an in-depth article. ;):P

...Perhaps if there are sections of peoples threads they find interesting then they could PM them to ask if they have time to write it up and PM admin of the "how to", then that thread could go into the tech archive with tags for relevant vehicles?

But therein lies the problem. I just happened to notice that little modification as it was buried in a thread that happens to be of interest to me. How many great modifications lie hidden in the threads i havent read as they hold no interest for me?

If there was a separate section, that particular mod could be listed there, easy for everyone to peruse.

I like the idea BUT Admin/Mods just don't have the time to trawl through thousands of post to extract any relevant info,

for a new sub forum, we would need the membership to help by notifying any threads with any popular modifications in, or the originator of a thread could extract any popular mods by putting it in a seperate post then PM Admin/Mods to request it's move into the sub forum.

we would need the membership to help by notifying any threads with any popular modifications in,

This was already the case, and has clearly failed given the number of threads added to the tech archive of late. Unfortunately I think it needs to be an active mod that keeps an eye out in addition to people nominating threads/posts.