Popular Modifications Sub-Section?

Well if it's failing because we are failing Bowie then I guess we (the regular non admin/mods that waste spend too much time here) should take this as a kick up the backside to nominate more when we see them.

That said I didn't realise people used the report button to notify mods of a thread for the tech archive. I shall consider myself told.

• Like 1

Well if it's failing because we are failing Bowie then I guess we (the regular non admin/mods that waste spend too much time here) should take this as a kick up the backside to nominate more when we see them.

That said I didn't realise people used the report button to notify mods of a thread for the tech archive. I shall consider myself told.

Ditto

• Like 1

I think this is actually the issue now, I think it was White90 that used to do most o this, sadly he has gone by the wayside, and the system of 'nominate a thread by reporting it' just isn't widely known nor likely to be used IMHO.

I do see the subtle difference between the two, but think the tech archive could do both quite happily, as long as we don't have to rename it and include the word 'Puma' in it.

I agree with Bowie on this. A subsection in the tech archive would be good, it's kind of already there.

I would be more than happy to moderate any new sub-section. I have a fair bit of time on my hands just now and for the forseeable future.

Seems only fair seeing as it was my idea. I certainly dont want to add to the already heavy workload that the A&M team have already.

Just letting you know the offer is there.

Hi, my penneth,

It doesn't matter to me where they are located, it is a question of how to find it!

The more sub sections then where to look, who and how is it decided where to put it. The idea of a link topic with the original staying put is simpler I think.

I used to use the Disc3/4 forum for reference when thinking of buying one, they have sections for tips& tricks, technical, electronics, mods & maintenance and one for faults and fixes. This a great forum with loads of information but stuff is all over the place as there are so many catagaries that stuff fits in any of them and is no better than having a single bucket.

In fairness this great forum is managed very well with stuff moved around in order to keep it logical.

Basically I am not trying to veto just to show complex it could be to manage when people are doing it for free and love as it is?

Grumpy old man.

..It doesn't matter to me where they are located, it is a question of how to find it!

I agree with you up to a point. The thing is it, matters very much where they are located.

How many modifications are out there (somewhere) that you've never heard of? All because there hidden in a thread that you had no interest in reading.

As i said previously i had no idea whatsoever about the flex brake line mod until i stumbled blindly on it.

If there was a dedicated modification (not maintenance) section, i would have known all about it.

I feel that a lot of people, especially newbies would benefit greatly from this :)

But therein lies the problem. I just happened to notice that little modification as it was buried in a thread that happens to be of interest to me. How many great modifications lie hidden in the threads i havent read as they hold no interest for me?

If there was a separate section, that particular mod could be listed there, easy for everyone to peruse.

Actually I had a few PMs elsewhere about my speedi-sleeve repair of a steering box, so I know what you mean about the buried in a thread comment ;)

I do have a trawl through the tech archive to see if there are any ideas I can glean off fo my own build but some titles don't lend themselves to being helpful or much of it is Defender related and no tag to say otherwise :( (ie, hold no interest for me ;) )

I'm all up for supporting a section whereby some "minor" moderator work is required but other mods have more important jobs higher up on the to do list I'll happily volunteer, maybe if a couple of us are on the lookout through general viewing, and can action this along with notification from other members too?

Just my 2p :)

• Like 1

So I guess the common suggestion is that if we find/read something that we think is suitable then we lag it to the mod/admin for inclusion in the same way as the tech archive works and it gets attention when they are able.

So I guess the common suggestion is that if we find/read something that we think is suitable then we lag it to the mod/admin for inclusion in the same way as the tech archive works and it gets attention when they are able.

That\s what we already have, and has proven unworkable unfortunately :(

if the 'Report' button is used only the Moderator of the main forum the post is in gets a notification there is a report that needs attention, so only 2 or 3 actually see it, those without mod rights in that forum won't know,

I think a PM to the relevant Moderator would be better.

I think were in danger of over thinking this gentlemen.

A few people including myself have offered our time to oversee the sub-section. I have no problem with members PM'ing me with possible contributions.

Yes it will be dependant on members coming forward but it is a public forum after all.

The mods are spread fairly thin as it is. Especially in certain sections. Adding to their workload isnt smart.

• Like 1

Can you add another button? 'Archive Suggestion' or some such thing? I don't know if it would be easy to flag that to more than one mod? For most, the Report button might not seem appropriate for this unless you realise that's also what we use it for.

A few people including myself have offered our time to oversee the sub-section. I have no problem with members PM'ing me with possible contributions.

Yes it will be dependant on members coming forward but it is a public forum after all.

The mods are spread fairly thin as it is. Especially in certain sections. Adding to their workload isnt smart.

Quite agree, lets just PM suggestions when we see them to Lewis and Phil (you can have a PM to multiple people).

The mod/admin team will need to give Phil and Lewis the ability to modify a post/thread that will work as the index post. In the index they can just link to the specific post in an already existing thread that has the interesting mod in it.

Job done

PS it would be useful if the index post states if the mod is specific to a particular vehicle type or not. (as suggested by Nigel)

If it wasn't too onerous it would be good to make the thread stand alone - even if that's a copy and paste job.

I'm partly thinking of things that can get lost or spread over a larger thread - and also how the tech archive currently suffers from posts with no photos due to Photobucket move arounds. For example there is a winch rebuild in there that is now all but totally useless.

You can link directly to a post in a thread though, eg this is a link to your post above http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=92442&p=799784 getting people to cut and paste stuff here there and everywhere will very shortly become an onerous task and it will fall in to disuse. Keep it quick and simple! We're only talking about a way to find that the info even exists, we don't have to prettyfi it ....... getter done ;)

The photobucket movarounds is a different issue, lets not muddy the waters.

• Like 1

Can you add another button? 'Archive Suggestion' or some such thing? I don't know if it would be easy to flag that to more than one mod? For most, the Report button might not seem appropriate for this unless you realise that's also what we use it for.

Quite agree, lets just PM suggestions when we see them to Lewis and Phil (you can have a PM to multiple people).

The mod/admin team will need to give Phil and Lewis the ability to modify a post/thread that will work as the index post. In the index they can just link to the specific post in an already existing thread that has the interesting mod in it.

Job done

PS it would be useful if the index post states if the mod is specific to a particular vehicle type or not. (as suggested by Nigel)

Admin are on the case, appointing another Moderator can only be done by Admin IIRC, so lets give them time to discuss the suggestions so far.

I like the idea of an index thread/post with a link to the original. That way isn't as pretty as separating out and redoing the posts in a new location, but its function and takes the least effort. It could be improved by including the link and the post numbers eg:

<Modification Name/Description><Thread page link> Post No.10 -No. 20

I spend a lot of time on here just browsing, so I'm happy to help flag up suitable posts, I'm also more than happy to be more involved at a moderator level.

On the subject of the Tech archive, is it worth removing/hiding/separating the threads which no longer have the pictures within them?

I guess theres pros and cons for both options. However the only con i can think of regarding the all new sub-section would be the fact that it would need moderated.

And there hasnt been any shortage of offers there.....

It would also have the benefit of weeding out the old tech articles that annoyingly lack pics now as Ross referred to.