Popular Modifications Sub-Section?

How about one thread with posts alluding to modifications which can then be researched more completely based on interest else where. Much like the thread with useful spanner sizes, torques and special tools list? You could have a standard defender modifications thread and anyone can add a post eg using a vw golf wiper relay for controllable intermittent wipers.... or use flexi brake pipe through and through!

Then the post could just reside in modifications as an on going conversation with a mod deleting unuseful stuff periodically to keep it clean and pertinent.

I thought this would be the most useful general info thread alongside a buyers guide and the useful tool thread.... I have wondered for a while why these are not prominent forum faqs? Perhaps they are and I am missing them!

Also to teach new forum users that it is much easier to search the forum using google "site:lr4x4.com blah blah" instead of the hard work forum search. New users could be emailed these faqs on sign up....

tbh i reckon a sub section such as the CAD subsection within an existing section would be the best, open for anyone to post their modification in, with the ability for mods to add unnoticed ones along the way. it would be a much more efficient way of archiving all mods, especially if there was a specific format for the thread title which could encourage search engine results and bring poeple to the forum.

I've read the thread and like some of the suggestions that have been batted about but obviously there are T's that would need to be crossed and I's dotted should we decide to proceed. Like I say I've opened a thread in A&M and once folks have had chance to have a chat then we can see where we stand. What with things starting up again after Christmas etc peeps might be a bit tied up for a day or two but it's on the table for discussion asap :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

OK Guys & Girls. 'Popular Modifications' sub forum to our Technical Archive. [of which I am the Moderator]

To help me set this up I would like all of our members to put a bit of effort into searching out the popular modifications you would like to be in said sub forum.

so any 'popular mods'

Please either add a link to the post location in this thread or send the links by PM to me [western] then I can get this started.

See my newer reply below

Ralph, if its OK with you, maybe best to keep posted list to here for the mean time so that we don't all inundate you with the same posts?

Happy with that suggestion.

so first update ----------- ALL suggested posts/threads for new 'popular modifications' to be added to this thread please, to prevent duplicate links being posted.

Im glad to see this sub section going ahead. Couple of things though.....

Firstly, im sorry Ralph that my idea has added to your already hectic workload on LR4x4. I did offer my time.

Secondly, isnt the name of the game these days about attracting new blood to register on the forum? If thats the case, dont A&M think that it was a bad idea to add this incredibly useful sub section into a section that unregistered visitors can access?

Wouldnt it have been better to make this a separate entity that you would have to register in order to view??

Lets get this up and running before we tackle if we need to hide it or not.....

It's likely to start life as an inexed post in the tech archive, but all the original posts will be across the board in posts individuals can already see if they so choose....

Just attracting new members because of our content could be the trigger to get someone to join and look for more / ask more questions.... Hide the index / section and you have to ask how they know it's there in the first place??

Hide the index / section and you have to ask how they know it's there in the first place??

Maybe there would be a way to show certain section titles but lock there content to unregistered visitors?

Im not sure how simple this would be though.

Im sure ive seen something similar in other forums.

As V8Freak has said lets get some content into the new sub forum first,

what I'm trying to do is put it in some order in various sections [such as electrical,clutch,engines, bodywork] so the instead of just a list of threads with no titles which maybe duplicated in various parts of the main forums.

Once we have a decent amount of popular mods in it to start with We can make it a access to all subforum.

Should be very simple, could also just allow text-access, blocking LR4x4 hosted pics until they register, but....... on the whole, I think getting more interaction in the first place, making it popular FIRST (i.e. up the SE ranks), then at a later date seeing how it's popularity can be exploited would be the better bet.

Should be very simple, could also just allow text-access, blocking LR4x4 hosted pics until they register, but....... on the whole, I think getting more interaction in the first place, making it popular FIRST (i.e. up the SE ranks), then at a later date seeing how it's popularity can be exploited would be the better bet.

Yep. I get your point Bowie.

just had a look around here without logging in, the tech archive & request for part numbers forums & all the vehicle forums are visible to non members or not logged in members.

non members or not logged in cannot see the for sale/wanted, LR4x4 matters,

You know - I've always thought that (aside from the membership) one of the greatest assets of this forum are those 'learn with Les' threads .... They are brilliant.

I wonder if they are prominent enough ? As they are there to lead new members into the heart of what this forum seems to be - servicing and modifying your own truck. I know they helped me enormously (Thanks Les!)

So at the risk of being an arse - is it worth building on what has started here and having a tidy up of the tech area :

The common mods / tips area above, a DIY service forum, and a tech archive that is tech - but not 'how to' guides.