ZF torque converter mix and match

Cheesy

I have a bit of a dilemer. I have bought a replacement ZF4 HP22 (747) from a 97 Disco to put into my 89 RRC which has the ZF Borg warner combo (593) with a flipped sprag/one way bearing.

Now I wasnt up on the differences with these before I bought the replacement, the new trans has the torque converter set back 27mm while the old one was 51mm. So as of now will not fit, I am guessing that with the crankshaft adapter from a later 3.9/4.0 engine it will fit once the threads on the mounting bosses are fixed (It had a 10mm adapter plate bolted to the torque converted with a PCD slightly bigger than that of the torque converter)

Now other than the mounting distances are there any big differences in the torque converters from the older box to the new one, can I just use the older style converter? It does seem to fit on fine and give the correct spacing (I have a 3rd torque converter from a good dismantled box the same as the half dead one in it)

Yes you will need the correct spacing from the engine that gearbox was bolted to, or similar engine. I dont get the weird codes you put behind the two gearbox set ups, what are they for? In my opinion changing from the Borg Warner t/box to the LT230 t/box is a very good one.

Yes you will need the correct spacing from the engine that gearbox was bolted to, or similar engine. I dont get the weird codes you put behind the two gearbox set ups, what are they for? In my opinion changing from the Borg Warner t/box to the LT230 t/box is a very good one.

They correspond to the torque converter distances on the Ashcrofts page, last 3 numbers of the serial number.

What I am trying to find out is if there is any big differences between the torque converters other than the mounting distances