Disco or Land Cruiser

Poscott

Just my opinion; No main stream vehicle manufacturer produces a good or bad product these days, sure there are cars out there each of us would find brutal, but they serve just fine for the purposes of the next fella down the line. So the only way to weigh up any vehicle you might be considering against another of the same class is by whittling it down to the one or two cars that can stand toe to toe for you on the fundamentals, and then decide which one gives you a boner when you look at it :halfabar:

That's how come I drive LR's. The Toyota is at least as good for my one or two key criteria, but the LR for me has the looks.

RE LR people being unbiased in a topic like this - we tend to be very practical people. We wouldn't drive LR's if we weren't. Which in itself is proof that an LR is not an exercise in unreliability. It's just the same way Mini people are always really friendly and cutsey, Merc people tend to be oblivious (cause the car cuts off 40% of their senses), Ford people carry large tools to win at road rage, and Saab people wear black polo necks :P

I'm now going to dig a hole, get in it, and drag a big boulder over the opening.

• Like 1

Just my opinion; No main stream vehicle manufacturer produces a good or bad product these days, sure there are cars out there each of us would find brutal, but they serve just fine for the purposes of the next fella down the line. So the only way to weigh up any vehicle you might be considering against another of the same class is by whittling it down to the one or two cars that can stand toe to toe for you on the fundamentals, and then decide which one gives you a boner when you look at it :halfabar:

That's how come I drive LR's. The Toyota is at least as good for my one or two key criteria, but the LR for me has the looks.

RE LR people being unbiased in a topic like this - we tend to be very practical people. We wouldn't drive LR's if we weren't. Which in itself is proof that an LR is not an exercise in unreliability. It's just the same way Mini people are always really friendly and cutsey, Merc people tend to be oblivious (cause the car cuts off 40% of their senses), Ford people carry large tools to win at road rage, and Saab people wear black polo necks :P

I'm now going to dig a hole, get in it, and drag a big boulder over the opening.

hey i resent that remark.....

ive never worn a black polo neck in my life......

its blue ^_^

Okay. So getting serious and after looking at various offerings, if I opt for a disco around the £3.5k mark, what should I be looking for?

The V8's look cheap and I worry about ones with LPG but I am tempted. A lot of car for the money.

Your thoughts.

If you have 3.5k to spend, get a Discovery 2. If you don't do big miles get a V8

Jeeps are made by Chrysler and as such are expensive on parts and on labour. They also break relatively easily unless the previous owner has maintained and loved them

Toyota's are overpriced in the UK and they do break

Nissan Patrol's don't break but they disolve

G Wagens - for your budget forget it, although they are truly amazing; for example I know of a solid '83 plate with a NAD Auto in going for 3.5k. A new bumper is 1200quid!

I bought a D2 to fix and sell on. I fixed it and then SWMBO drove it. Now it's a keeper; and I love it... Although the blessed compressor failed the other day and cost me £363 in VAT

As I indicated, there is no perfect 4WD, every make, be it LR, Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes Benz et al -- all have their attractions and their design faults, if it's in good or reasonable condition at the time of purchase and you maintain it correctly and rectify the faults that were/are evident then it will serve you well.

Being a used vehicle you are always going to be buying someone else's problems - why else, other than age, would it be sold, so depending on your location check on the cost of regular replacement parts that you will encounter in the time you have it, first and foremost fuel consumption and general running costs then check out the costs of wheel discs, brake pads, suspension components, clutch plates etc. take these replacement / service costs into serious consideration. Once you have determined what for you will be the cheapest and most obtainable then go on from there.

The D2, despite its reputation, is pretty solid. Get one with steel springs (or convert it) and no ACE. High mileage well worn ones are like any high mileage well worn car. Mine has 50k miles and is still brilliant - that said I'm now thinking about selling it as it's 12 years old which is far longer than I normally keep a vehicle (which speaks for itself, as does the fact I've nearly put it up for sale a few times and keep changing my mind). Total spares input in 12 years has been a new diff (fitted under warranty), a new radiator, 3 or 4 viscous fan couplings, a new set of anti roll bar bushes, a new set of rubber mats, and the expected service spares plus tyres. That's been it. I wish they still made them instead of those stupid contraptions they build now.

I wish they still made them instead of those stupid contraptions they build now.

Big time. I've a couple of pals with D3's, and another in the market for one and I'm not envious of them one bit. Sure I'd love if I could have the 2.7 in my RR or D2, and that day might come, but in the meantime I'm happy out.

Is your D2 facelift or not mate? I have another pal in the UK looking for one. I think I put him off by giving him the link to my Td5 Intro post, but an enthusiast owned 50k miler might just tempt him :)

Been reading this and resisting posting.

I have owned Series 2a's, a series 3, Discos, Range Rovers, a Nissan Patrol Y60 4.2 LWB turbo and presently a late Toyota Land-cruiser 100 series 4.2 24 valve TD, amongst over 30 odd other cars over the years

The Patrol is the second best machine I have ever owned, but nowhere near a good as the Land-cruiser, but £2.5K will probably only buy you a breaker so please don't rate that against a cheap Disco.

The modern Land-cruisers are awesome for towing, getting across rough land, or as a daily drive perhaps lacking all the luxury items of the new Range Rovers but those that are fitted do continue to work for years unlike our British machines.

The majority of motor traders hate Ranger Rover or Discos because of giving warrantees or dealing with companies that make warrantees simply uneconomical to supply.

The problem with the big Japs is the price of spares and as they reach there twilight years thats normally when they are going to start to need them, the beauty of Disco's is the availability of cheap spares.

Sorry boys but I love my cruiser as a daily or as tow vehicle for my Challenge motor, it simply gets on with the job with no fuss or drama.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Still got my Freelander. Decided it's too much of an old pal to lose. In addition I bought a big engined coupe to zip up and down the motorway. The Kandy comes out at weekends for dogs, fishing and taxi duty.