300tdi series conversion, without chassis modification...

yellow-peril

Hi all, New here!

I have a 200tdi series with a dying engine, so im looking to go down the 300tdi route as i can get the engines pretty darn cheap.

Has anyone fitted one without chopping the drivers side mount? i cant cut mine as i have a galvy chassis.

I am thinking of using this custom mount made by a fellow member :)

Image765.jpg

i cant visualize whether the mount will work or not?

Anyone got any ideas?

The mount you've posted above will only fit a defender, the series engine mount stands off the chassis much further and wants to be where the oil filter is on a 300. I have stuck a 300 in mine without cutting the mount.

You will need to make a few parts, the nearside engine mount is a standard series item bolted to the 300 block. The offside requires a mount like this:

995153_10201489184012279_906303746_n.jpg

Then you will have to use a remote oil filter and to do that requires a special take-off plate on the block for the pipework:

1148904_10201559287084812_835940865_n.jp

Mounted:

13581_10201565086069783_498595347_n.jpg?

Hope that helps

Dave

More common now, and younger, and more freely available in automatic if you like that :)

Honestly, you won't have a problem if you do cut the galv chassis, when have you ever seen a LR engine bay that doesn't have it's own rust prevention system installed ;)

my 200 i think is dead, had a knocking noise stripped to find a bent con rod and swelled piston, replaced and its still got a knock, a different one but its still there.

i can get 300tdi for 250 complete .. i just have to take them out!

i would stick with a 200 but i cant seem to find one at a reasonable price!

The oil take off was specially made, it's just a bit of plate with the holes drilled in the right places for the oil feed and return ports on the block, then some mocal fir tree type oil hose unions (with the nuts cut off) welded to the plate to take the oil hoses. I haven't currently got any pictures of the mount fitted to the engine but it all fits very well. The mount picks up on 3 M10 threaded holes in the block and should be more than substantial enough. I'll see if i can get some pictures soon.

In answer to why a 300, they are so much easier to get hold of, the turbo arrangement is MUCH easier to deal with in a series, no silly convoluted downpipe. The timing belt is much easier to change, you don't have to touch the water pump in order to do it. The serpentine belt arrangement is a massive improvement. I could go on for hours. Some people just seem to insist that the 200 is better with no argument to back it up.

The only thing people slate the 300 for is cracking the head but they only do it if you don't keep an eye on the coolant level, the water pump is higher up the front of the engine on a 300 and so a small drop in coolant level leaves the head dry of a coolant feed.

In answer to why a 300, they are so much easier to get hold of, the turbo arrangement is MUCH easier to deal with in a series, no silly convoluted downpipe. The timing belt is much easier to change, you don't have to touch the water pump in order to do it. The serpentine belt arrangement is a massive improvement. I could go on for hours. Some people just seem to insist that the 200 is better with no argument to back it up.

The only thing people slate the 300 for is cracking the head but they only do it if you don't keep an eye on the coolant level, the water pump is higher up the front of the engine on a 300 and so a small drop in coolant level leaves the head dry of a coolant feed.

They already have a 200Tdi installed, so the fitting is not an issue. And it's not as if you change timing belts every other month.

200's may cost a little more to get, but considering it would be a straight swap over with no additional parts or custom work, I think this would be the easier and better option.

The 300 will require additional time and money to make it fit, which will likely offset the purchase cost difference of the engines. And the reality is you won't actually get anything any better at the end of it.

Heres an thought... How about a 300tdi with the 200tdi turbo/inlet manifold? They swap from one to the other with little in the way of problems and you wouldnt have to cut your chassis or mod your downpipe etc

Jad