Stereo Subwoofer Wiring

harrys

I've recently acquired a 1995 Discovery 300tdi and decided to replace the non functioning stock head unit with a sony one. I've managed to connect it all up and it works fine apart from the rear speakers.

I've searched around for a fix and came across a cable that connects the black and red wires with a pink connector to an RCA port on the new head unit. Unfortunately it hasn't worked and theres no sound at all from the rear speakers.

I then found a forum post that said to connect the single RCA plug to a cable that has two RCA plugs to go into the head unit. This hasn't worked either.

In my frustration I plugged one of the rya plugs into a wire coming out of the head that says AMP REM which then made the rear speakers make some noise.

Does anyone know what I should do? Any help would be massively appreciated!

post-104429-0-28329500-1420500287_thumb.jpg

You only need one RCA plug attached, that'll carry (usually the left channel) sound signal to the rear amp. However, you also need a power-on signal to the rear amp. I think they used the one which could/would also control an electric aerial if one was fitted. Do you have RAVE? That's got the wiring laid out for you.

Hi Scott, thanks very much for your help!

I've found a blue/yellow wire coming from the head unit that disappears down the back. When it re-emerges there is no blue/yellow wire but there is a purple/white wire that goes back to the pillar and is not connected to anything. Could that be the wire that is supposed to go to the amp?

post-104429-0-40357000-1420550763_thumb.jpg

I don't, sorry. It heads down to behind the steering wheel (according to RAVE), but I can't be sure if that is on a left or right hand drive vehicle?! At this point, it becomes purple/yellow and then heads to another connector "behind left hand fascia". The trail then leads to the right hand rear pillar where the amp connector Before you start tracing it all out, why not just apply 12v to the amp (pin 6 on the connector near the amp)?

post-11857-0-22983500-1420624285_thumb.jpg

You will require a head unit with a bass preamplified output, as the red & black wire is the mono audio feed to the back door amp.

Also you will require a permanent 12v feed plus a 12v switching feed for the amp, all the wiring is there all u need to do is prove the two existing wires from the amps connector to one of the ISO blocks in the dash.

Earth connection is already at the amp.

The switching supply is via a blue wire on the head unit usually use for switching amps or controling electric aerials, amps 12v supply is the same as the head units and can be found in one of the ISO blocks.

One ISO connector connections for just the speakers the other for the services such as power, lighting etc.

I have the colour codes of the wires from when I did mine somewhere but it's simple to meter the wires.

• 1 year later...

I have been struggling with this. in the end I simple connected the red and black sub wires to the rear speaker outputs and got sound.

I am not sure at this stage if I could get more sound, but as I only got a whisper through the RCA ports I am happy! (for now...I do not like ambiguity)