Land Rover door rebuild

• 3 years later...

Thanks very much Mikey @discomikey for this great post - since the doors are in pretty good shape I am not stripping off the skin nor repainting the steel structure and the skins separately - I have just given them a coat of primer and paint inside out. Given this is it better to apply PU sealant between steel and alu where I can see some gaps so to 'isolate' the two materials OR do you feel is better to leave it alone ? 

Now before putting the lining back I have been thinking of what to do to lengthened their lifetime and reduce the noise they do during travel - I plan to:

1) apply Waxoyl across the structure door through the various holes present
2) apply insulation material across the door attaching it to the alu skin like you have done - any lessons learnt here you could share? the insulation goes everywhere or it would bother the window somewhere?

thanks so much!

IMG_20180609_094007.thumb.jpg.00603475fbf198c91853e51fe9eed76a.jpgIMG_20180609_094001.thumb.jpg.33b3a1e64bc222628d942806dc12013a.jpg

doors.png

Edited by Wheely

if you can get something inbetween the frame and the skin it would benefit from that. I wouldn't necisarrily warrant splitting the skin from the frame though.

There's nowhere that the window is affected by the door itself so you can completely cover it with sound deadening. 

Great thanks so  I will just do 5 x6mm holes at the bottom of the steel structure to improve drainage and spray Waxoyl inside.

The insulation is for the heat since I am in Africa the car is pretty hot so by putting some insulating material attached to the interior of the alu skin I hope that it would prevent some of the heat from coming in ( I don't have A/C) - do you think it's a sensible idea or anyway given the lining there wouldn't be much heat coming through the doors anyway ?

Edited by Wheely

• 3 weeks later...

any insulation is a bonus! As i'm sure you'll know, the roof panel absorbs the most heat through direct sunlight, If it has no headlining i would strongly recommend putting up some insulation and then a headlining.