MS1 Radiator fan control problems

Badders

I have to conceed that i may err on the side of caution when it comes to soldering and modding the internals, but now i may have to take up the challenge and go for it...

Badders, if you go down the in-line thermoswitch route, I'm running an 81 degree thermostat with a 92 on 86 off switch, this seems to give a good balance. I know the engine is getting full coolant flow before the fans kick in, I boiled the thermostat in a pan with a sugar thermometer and it was fully open around 85 degrees. Not totally familiar with the THOR layout or which thermostat you have, but would it be possible with a switch that low you may never get full coolant flow in the engine?

I too did the boil in the pan thing... I've got the odd looking thermostat housing, the standard one opens at 92, but i've bought a black one that's fully open at 88 deg, so with my fan coming in at 87 till it's done to 82 it should pretty much cut in at the same time as the rad is full...

we shall see :D:D

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this.... I was looking around on the web and had come to the same conclusion.... Send back to Nige! :lol::lol::lol:

Competence with a soldering iron is... OK... I think I first used one when I was about 6, I then used one at school, about 14... and these days maybe every month or so, but for electrics not electronics! very very different!

I'm still sending it back to Nige, I know my limits!

Stu

Did you go ahead with an MS mod to control the fans, or stick with different thermostat setup, etc?

Did you go ahead with an MS mod to control the fans, or stick with different thermostat setup, etc?

Not as yet, I currently have a modded e-bay temperature switch housing which has a sender for the temperature gauge and now a switch for the fan, it's cutting in about 88° and currently doing a good job, I've not seen temps over about 91° when in traffic...

I think I will get the ECU modded to though. I'm currently having PWM problems, in that it's not working (and i don't think it ever has) so once Nige gets back to me I may kill 2 birds with one stone.

Stu