14CUX on a 4.6

What is needed to put a 3.9 14CUX injection system on to a 4.6. Obviously the hardware will just bolt on but what is needed as far as changes to injectors, fuel flow. air flow to allow the system to handle 4.6 litres vs the original 4.6 litres.

Likewise what changes are needed to the ECU to handle the capacity increase and possible changes to the injectors and induction. Is the standard MAF good enough or does it need changing as well.

Thanks

Garry

Yes, but unless other options are canvassed you don't know what else might work - I have already investigated Megasquirt but looking for other alternatives before deciding what I will do.

Megasquirt is expensive where I already have the basic bits to do the option looking at in this thread.

BTW reading RangeyRover's post I would not be tempted with a TVR map on a standard engine, TVR engines have a reputation as being cobbled together from whichever parts they could find, the map could be for any bizarre combination of block/heads/cam and it'll be designed to blast a small aerodynamic lump of GRP around country lanes, not haul 2 tonnes of Range Rover over a ditch at tickover.

Hi Fridge,

I agree MS is usually better but for the OP's question, changes can be done to accomodate the 4.6.

the links for the maps combine LR and TVR BINS, and the people who use them seem to have no issues.

If price is your measure for budget EFI that can be tuned, still some life in the 14CUX

http://www.stevesprint.com/remap-14cux/bins

Comparisons made between LR and TVR maps, not much difference.

I'd personally prefer the MS so that the ignition is taken care of too, and made waterproof, but cost might push me back the other way.

I'm running a 4.6 in a RRC on 14CUX currently, it has a re-chipped ECU and a 20AM AFM, however, if I were doing it again I would probably be tempted to go the megasquirt route and get the ignition taken care of too.

I realise 14CUX can run the 4.6, and is more than capable of doing so, but as you say it doesn't handle ignition (I could never go back to clockwork now) and doesn't have such easy tunability. Having to pay someone to adjust ECU settings doesn't appeal to me. 1st post wasn't clear that he was canvassing the options / was aware of the MS option.

1st post wasn't clear that he was canvassing the options / was aware of the MS option.

The post was specific to just the 4CUX as I have learnt previously, and as has happened in this thread, that any discussion on V8 injection is drowned out by MS discussion and anything else gets missed.

Hence this thread was intended to discuss issues with the 4CUX on a 4.6 - it wasn't intended to be a discussion of options for injection/ignition.

However I appreciate the comments'

Thanks

Garry

Ignoring THOR setups as I haven't played with those:

Induction wise, all plenums (other than specials) have the same mouth size. The inlet manifolds are the same casting with minor differences in holes drilled / mounting flats machined from 3.5 flapper up.

The 4.0 / 4.6 TPS is a much nicer & more robust, I don't know if it's electrically identical but it's certainly the right sort of thing.

Later temp senders are 4-wire, no idea if they can be used with 14CUX.

Idle valves are different but I think still a 4-wire stepper type, so close, might work but you'll need to double triple check the wiring so it turns the right way. The 14CUX might live with it or might go a bit nuts if the idle adjustment response is too different to the older style.

Lambda sensors for 14CUX are Titania type, the relatively odder sort.

You'd need to remove the (IMHO nicer & neater) 4.0/4.6 front cover and replace with one that has a dizzy drive, the has knock on ramifications for cam noses, crank noses, dizzy drive gear, pulleys, and hence ancillaries.

Probably other detail differences too, I ran 3.5 / 3.9 bits on my 4.6 block but ditched it all in favour of a standard 4.6 setup for neatness & ease of getting spares.

I don't think the Thor manifold gives much advantage,it is certainly much more difficult to work on - esp plumbing in LPG injectors and their wiring.The only cheaper thing about them is that they use 0-1v Zirconia sensors.Unlike Gems the Thor ecu's don't seem to be easy to tweak,Mark Adams for instance modded a Gems ecu to run a small block Chev conversion in a P38 for a mate of mine,again worked very well.

Peing picky, thor manifolds do not dictate choice of lambda sensors, that's down to the choice of ECU.

I believe Thor manifolds are worth ~20lb/ft at low RPM but I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it. Certainly it was the first serious bit of development done to the RV8 for about 20 years so you'd hope it wasn't making things worse.

Fridge, you are being picky - from my post it should be obvious that I was talking about Thor setups as they were supplied by LR in 99 on P38's and DII V8's - Not what you can swop around and get to work as a DIY deal. And despite what factory figures were released I have never felt any seat of the pants gain from all the road testing I have done when doing diagnostic work or tuning LPG systems. They certainly feel and sound more "revvy" than Gems engines ,but don't seem to deliver much more go in use.(And I've driven literally hundreds of them) I think it was more a case of BMW shoving a tenner in the pot to polish a tired turd.

If anyone is interested I have quite alot of CUX / Gems and Thor bits hanging around that I'd like to offload.

road testing I have done when doing diagnostic work or tuning LPG systems.

A little OT, but how did you get on with getting an LPG system to play well with the Bosch ECU? It's been a neverending battle for me, seems the Bosch and LPG ECUs are constantly battling it out, and it's either running very lean or using a whole lot of fuel. It's an AEB system with an OBD connection to the Bosch ECU.

.The most common ones I have done have been Romano RisN,they were fitted by Dunsford Landrovers,a local independent now closed down. They did a tidy job of fitting them,but never bothered much with setting them up... I used to use two laptops at the same time,one running the LPG software and the other on Testbook monitoring fuel trims.Near me is a long stretch of Roman road which is very quiet,ideal for tuning,all I did was run at a particular speed/throttle opening,note the trim on petrol and then trim the gas to match.As long as its all in good shape its not too bad to get them very close - they will never be spot on as the gas simply isn't accurate enough to keep up.They will stay in tune though,there are only two left now that I see as regular customers,I rarely need to touch the LPG side.

There is only one other I do is on OMVL Dream,again a good system once fitted with Matrix injectors,the originals were rubbish.Cant remember doing much with AEB kit.

Yeah, I tried the whole looking at fuel trims thing. Change the map 30%, nothing changes in the fuel trims, things like that. It's working fairly well now, but still gobbling up the fuel. Maybe the engine just really needs a rebuild though, that won't be helping, and it does get pushed hard...

• 3 weeks later...