Spot the 300TDi

nickwilliams

My son (15) is looking to buy a vehicle so he has something to play about in on our fields. He can't afford a Defender but I have suggested to him that if he purchases a 300TDI disco then when the body finally rusts away the running gear might provide some useful spares for my 90.

So, the question is, what model year was the 300TDi introduced for the Disco, and how do we spot the right models on e-bay if the vendor has not specifically said what engine is in it?

Oh, and if anyone has one looking for a new home, please get in touch. He has £500 to spend.

Nick.

Well, for £500 the body will already be well on its way! However, to answer your questions... 1994 (L/M) was the switch over, and then there were updates later ('96?) which added EDC. Easiest visual way to check is the headlights, if they have a large black surround it's a 200Tdi, full glass fronted lights are likely a 300Tdi.

But if you do that they you miss things like this which are eminently suitable but do not specifically say that there are a 300TDi.

Sound's like you've found your machine. Only 17min left, don't dilly dally!

I left it out on purpose btw, there's a lot of surface rust on the front bumper :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've always found this strange as my Disco is a 300Tdi -- build date July 1998 and never had any engine electronics. I can only assume that the update to EDC was for builds to be sold in the UK.

Yep, OZ never got EDC TDI's, only EURO and Japan i believe.