300tdi Fuel Tank Cradle

AdeParko

Whilst fitting rear brake discs today I noticed that the fuel tank had dropped slightly. The cradle has rusted and split so the fuel tank is now resting on the anti roll bar.

Only problem is its due to for an mot this week and with work, I'm not going to get time to fabricate anything.

Does anyone know if there's room to get a ratchet strap in there to support it? Would this pass an mot? As was thinking this would make the tank secure.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Adrian

:hysterical: if you were in NSW and presented a car with the fuel tank held up with a nylon snatch strap you would get a "tow away only" defect notice so fast you head would still be spinning a week after, on top of this when you returned the car for inspection the sods would go over it with a fine nit comb.

DONT DO IT ! it's crazy and dangerous, especially to the vehicles following you if it ever broke free and fell off and onto the road. Go to a wreakers and obtain a new unrusted strap

I did mine in the summer after discovering that the front edge was rust and holes.

Posted on here and did loads of research and got one that was meant to fit a tdi and that was about 6inches too short so I ended up chopping the good end off the original and welding it to the new one.

But the actual tank is sat on the chassis rails and all the convaluted shoring I'd put in place to stop the plastic tank dropping out wasnt doing anything.

Id spent the money (and time)on the new 'guard' so it went back on with a nice coat of hammerite but if I had been pushed for time with the mot due i would have stuck it through without and fabricated the new one to fit at a later date.

I would guess that it would still pass. MOT requirements for the fuel tank is quite minimal - no leaks, not dragging on the ground, etc.I took a Rover 45 for the MOT and one of the tank straps had corroded through - allowing it to hang down at an angle. The tester merely commented "one of your tank straps has busted m8" :) Golden rule for the MOT is to take it 2-weeks before the current one runs out. If it fails, you have 2-weeks before it has no MOT, and also most MOT stations give you 14 days free retest.

Les

Many thanks for the replies

Having been around friends kit cars, I've seen plastic fuel tanks and batteries held in place with ratchet straps with no ill effects and passing MOT's, so didn't realise it was such an extreme thing to do? I work away during the week so struggle for time to actual carry our short notice repairs.

The front of the craddle has rusted and sheared off near to the bracket attached tot he bulkhead. My only concern is that as soon I try to undo the bolts on the front, the bracket its self will just come off due to corrosion. Because of this even finding another secondhand craddle wont be an easy task to fit.

Are there any aftermarket craddle's available that use alternative mounts?

Many thanks

Adrian

Thanks Les, Do you think it would pass an MOT sitting on the roll bar the way it is? That would at least by me some time to be able to sort it.

The car only gets used by my wife to get from the house to the horse stables, so doesn't do big trips/mileage.

Thanks again

Adrian

:o I bow to Les and his knowledge of UK, MOT inspections, but don't try it in NSW, Australia, that said you wouldn't even need to worry in Victoria, they don't have ANY roadworthy inspections unless requested by the Police as the result they may have noticed during a casual roadside inspection , consequently they fall apart and in NSW you simply wouldn't buy a used / second hand Victorian registered car.

Mot regulations change all the time, so it may well fail. Resting on the anti-roll bar is dangerous anyway, as it's going to be banging on it as you go over bumps, etc.Any regulation is likely to only require that the tank is secure. Anything to do that - rope, strap, etc.

Les

Bearing in mind the fact that MOTs are now all online, I think you'll find that if you present a vehicle for MOT and it fails - regardless of how many weeks of the existing MOT are left - it has no valid MOT meaning you then can't drive it unless it's to or from a prearranged MOT station or place of repair....

In reply to the OP - if the tank is resting on the anti roll bar, I can't see any tester passing it as it's clearly unsafe. The retaining bracket isn't very dear in any case and it's only 4 bolts holding it in place.

Bearing in mind the fact that MOTs are now all online, I think you'll find that if you present a vehicle for MOT and it fails - regardless of how many weeks of the existing MOT are left - it has no valid MOT meaning you then can't drive it unless it's to or from a prearranged MOT station or place of repair....

This is not he first time I have seen this, but I assure you it is WRONG... as long as the MOT certificate has not expired, you can drive it as you would do normally.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

There may be an exception for a 'dangerous' vehicle, but I haven't the time to look that up.