Disco Drop Arm

Looking to do the disco drop arm conversion and HD steering arms on the 110.

Ive noticed that price varies wildly between vendors, so curious to hear peoples opinions as to what my shopping list should be for this conversion to give best value for money? Also will this restrict my choice of steering damper at all?

• 3 months later...

Good Day. I have Just bought a Disco with no engine to sell it for parts. I want to change the drop arm and was thinking on just take the Disco box and put it on the Defender. What else does I have to exchange? Can I just take all the steering arms and steering damper from the Disco to the Defender?

So can i Just simply take the complete disco systen to my car and that's it? Should i put everything in the same order or the damper have to come in the front? What about the steering box? Can I just take it from the disco and put it on the defender as an straight exchange?

Box = straight exchange

Move drag link from Disco to Defender

Run with it like this, and decide if you really do need the steering damper, many run without, if you do, get a steering relocation kit from the interweb and use that :)

The drop arm on the defender box has the ball joint built in, these seem prone to failure and are awkward to replace/rebuild in situ. The discovery drop arm has a taper hole in it to accept a standard track rod end which is on the end of the drag link. These are cheap and easy to replace, and in my experience fail less

Defender

5E8E3104-B376-4888-94F1-27BC163ABDD4_zps

Disco

98A7C7D5-29A0-40CA-A5F0-D0B32E5EB4B1_zps[

The drop arm on the defender box has the ball joint built in, these seem prone to failure and are awkward to replace/rebuild in situ. The discovery drop arm has a taper hole in it to accept a standard track rod end which is on the end of the drag link. These are cheap and easy to replace, and in my experience fail less

Defender

5E8E3104-B376-4888-94F1-27BC163ABDD4_zps

Disco

98A7C7D5-29A0-40CA-A5F0-D0B32E5EB4B1_zps[

Thanks.

Have many of you guys had these fail then? I can't personally recall one failing.

How expensive are those relocation kits? Have you drive a defender without the steering? Is there a bug difference? The car is going on july to a 1.000 km "rally" full of potholes and mud bogs, not having the damper is a risk?

I use the GL bars and damper mount and a Discovery arm. It's a good setup.

I can only speak from my own experience but the steering damper makes a fair bit of difference particularly under bumpy conditions and heavy breaking

HTH

Thanks.

Have many of you guys had these fail then? I can't personally recall one failing.

Two defender ball joints in three six months on my 90, then changed to disco set up. You can see in the pics above the defender one is leaking rusty water from beneath the boot

Thanks.Have many of you guys had these fail then? I can't personally recall one failing.

My old 3 bolt box had the ball joint in the arm setup, every MOT I had to replace it as part of the pre check. It would only last a few months before it was a bit loose, I don't think it would wrong side fail but it wasn't a good setup and harder to repair than the Discovery setup.

That's been on the motor now for three years and still has no play at all.

My old 3 bolt box had the ball joint in the arm setup, every MOT I had to replace it as part of the pre check. It would only last a few months before it was a bit loose, I don't think it would wrong side fail but it wasn't a good setup and harder to repair than the Discovery setup.

That's been on the motor now for three years and still has no play at all.

Surprised you guys find so much issue. Not disputing the Disco setup may be better, but never seen the problems you exhibit.