Going to the West coast of Scotland, got a tiny oil leak , bit of ad

Looks like my transfer box has a leak, three little drops forming from the baseplate. I have searched and think the leak is from the cross input shaft seal..the question being drawing from your experience will it be wise to take the landy or leave it at home.

Really want to.take it ta

mine leaked for 3 years until i had reason to split whole lot off for new gearbox, used to just check every month or so and top up a tiny amount. No guarentee yours is worse or better than mine!

worst case pack a litre of fluid needed and tools to check and take with you. ideally check couple times before trip so you can guage useage.

A drip is too small to worry about, but it may have been weeping a while, so a quick check of the level would be wise. You could add seal conditioner tot he oil as a temporary measure - it softens and swells oil seals and o-rings, so should help. But the vehicle will be fine on a long trip.

Transfer boxes do have a habit of leaking. Mine has a small leak from the intermediate shaft seal, it's only enough to leave one or two spots on the driveway over a week or so and so I am not going to fix it until I need to take the box off for something else. Other candidates are front/rear output flange seals and the input seal where it mates to the gearbox.

As above if it's just a small drip don't worry about it. When transfer boxes or axles etc. leak badly the back of the car being spotted with oil after a motorway run is always a good indicator - that and the smell of oil when you get out!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would update you on my trip to Scotland, all went really well. The windscreen wipers got a bit over excited driving through a storm on the way back today , at one point thought they were going to come off as they started going over their stops,i guess that they need readjusting and securing..

Only worrying points are a nice oil puddle or two left ....looks like one is from the engine cranckshaft seal which is upsetting as i only had it renewed 6 month ago, will try and upload a photy from the trip.