Air Filter Housing - How Did you Do Yours?

ThreePointFive

Did you ever reach a solution to this.

I have reminded Nige a few times to chime in here, and he PM'd to say he would, but alas he hasnt :(

Below is a pic showing that fitment of the standard v8 air filter housing should not interfere with heater.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

No solution to making my current one fit, the one in the pic you've shown is a mirror image of mine - inlet on the left, outlet on the right.

I'm probably going to buy a generic housing with the input/put as per the above, that way I can get it to exit on the O/S wing as per a TD5 with as few bends as possible.

Watching with interest. I'm having simmilar issues, as I want to keep my N/S snorkel and heater. I have a 200tdi,300tdi and the smaller v8 air bin to play with. At the moment I'm thinking of cutting off the side port and welding it back on at a 45° angle which I think may help with pipe work. I think HOFS did a simmilar thing for mouse......only infinitely better than what I could turn out lol

No solution to making my current one fit, the one in the pic you've shown is a mirror image of mine - inlet on the left, outlet on the right.

I'm probably going to buy a generic housing with the input/put as per the above, that way I can get it to exit on the O/S wing as per a TD5 with as few bends as possible.

Would it be possible for you to swap the plenum round so that the inlet is in the more traditional position? Then you could mount standard filter body in factory position like in the pic I attached earlier..

Not got many pictures of mine but I had a bespoke housing made based in Nige's idea....

It used the Land Rover filter and was fastened to the rear of the engine...

post-1475-0-42445800-1429465286_thumb.jpg

post-1475-0-56910100-1429465320_thumb.jpg

I may have some more somewhere on the hard drives if you need me to look....

Snorkel went up through the O/S wing fake vent....

Neil

Seems there must be two versions of the V8 filter, because mine is definitely the reverse to the one in Nige's pic. Either way, I am sure that my current filter won't fit, and I like the idea of turning the plenum around but there are then issues with the rocker breathers and a couple of other things like the throttle cable, so that's not going to work.

Looking at the genuine 4.0 NAS/50th version, it looks like it would be a lot easier to mount:

Phb102560f.jpg

They're about £150 a pop, but then the one Antoine has is £190!

Only issue I can foresee is the fitting of additional tubing for a snorkel, if desired...

Range Rover classic 3.5 (except for the last year), NTC2589 I think, like the one I use and like the Nas one.
On Ebay for about £56 (plus shipping) from germany

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luftfilter-und-Halterung-Air-Cleaner-Assembly-NTC2589-Range-Rover-Classic-3-5-V8-/221621400784

Just don't buy new http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/164966/0/body_assy___air_cleaner

Seems a lot of people are in a similar position, going by the number of views.

While waiting on a response from the purveyor of all things MS regarding my next purchase, I've had a lot of time to consider my options.

I essentially had three choices:

1) Bodge up my existing 3.5 airbox, take off the water trap and mount it upside-down so that it pointed upwards (as in the pictures).

2) Buy another LR airbox which fits in the orientation I need (going O/S to N/S direction) at potentially great cost and ending up with the RRC/NAS box which is apparently not as good for airflow as the box I already have

3) spend money on an aftermarket solution

I've gone ahead with number 3 for a variety of reasons, the most important being cost, availability and ease - they come exactly as needed. I have sourced one very similar to Antoine's for £25 - half the cost of a used LR item. They're all over ebay.

It will make attaching pipework to the wing vent/snorkel much easier as the inlet will be already pointing that way.

Downsides will be that it won't offer as much filtration as a standard item and will be more vulnerable off road as a result - I think this is where the snorkel may be a necessity in case of splashes and keeping dust out, though I have no intention of going deep water wading because of the other elements that get effected which MS doesn't account for.

I'll post a picture once fitted, but I think a lot of people may not agree with my decision to go non-LR due to the off roading drawbacks.

Would a defender/disco td5 air box flow enough with an aftermarket filter?

Should be fine, theoretically a 2.5 litre engine under 1bar of boost flows the same CFM as a 5 litre engine with no boost, obviously there's a load of other factors and inefficiencies and whatnot but if you look at standard V8 filters fitted to RR/Disco they're tiny, and not for lack of space under the bonnet.

The new airbox arrived....and it might not be the permanent solution I had hoped for, given it's comically small proportions:

DSC_0693_zpscfvoemvs.jpg

DSC_0695_zpsuuuez5ut.jpg

It'll get my up and running with the MS though while I find a more suitable alternative, I'm probably just going to find another V8 airbox and swap the outlet side, seeing as they are fit for purpose.

It comes with a thin bracket that has a variety of holes for positioning. It's flimsy and I think I'll make a loop of ali to go to one of the other bolts on the sides of the inlet manifold. The bolt I used to position it is the central one in the manifold.

It comes with a thin bracket that has a variety of holes for positioning. It's flimsy and I think I'll make a loop of ali to go to one of the other bolts on the sides of the inlet manifold. The bolt I used to position it is the central one in the manifold.

Thanks.

I've got a Military wolf air filter that I had in my 200tdi with a couple of rubber quick fist clamps. I think I just need to make something to hang it off the back of the engine. Those manifold bolts look like a good option.

D.

• 3 weeks later...