Air Filter Housing - How Did you Do Yours?

ThreePointFive

• 3 months later...

Even though my truck is running and I can see the home straight the filter is bothering me, especially now the cold weather is setting in. So had another dig and found this

post-8190-0-60142300-1441181515_thumb.jpg

Is the filter housing from the TDCI defenders and is made to fit the space behind the headlight. I've ordered one to see how it is

......landrover thought it was worthwhile isnt an argument Ross lol

i had a quick look about online and the pipe connected to the hiclone port isn't sealed atall so it may have something to do with that as bigger particles could get in there. At first I thought it might be to get the air spinning the same direction as the turbo to prevent lag(best I could come up with) but it's on the wrong side of the filter.

i have a book at home that goes into flow testing, I think it can be roughly measured by monitoring water flow out of a burette over a given period. I'll dig it out later and see if that's how it goes or if I just made it up. If it does work it would be nice to see how having the hiclone in and out would effect it because I really don't think it needs it.

I can bet you it is so that it disperses the air across the area of the filter so it doesn't just go the easiest route.

Of course the hiclone 'claims' over the years are rubbish :) 'Restrict your intake sir! More power sir!' err....

Oh god I know that, but read what I said.... Ian who makes a living out of tuning Land rovers and getting the best out of them (as well as still working for Land Rover), said they are worth keeping. Yes a load of idiocy gets put on the Facebook groups, but some intelligent people do post as well. It was a discussion about air filter flows if I remember correctly.

Oh god I know that, but read what I said.... Ian who makes a living out of tuning Land rovers and getting the best out of them (as well as still working for Land Rover), said they are worth keeping. Yes a load of idiocy gets put on the Facebook groups, but some intelligent people do post as well. It was a discussion about air filter flows if I remember correctly.

Fair enough, I commend your patience for sifting through what is undoubtedly a load of rubbish to find the few knowledgeable people. And I agree, LR wouldn't have put it in if it didn't do anything.

I'm currently trying to squeeze a 300tdi air filter somewhere in my engine bay to feed the two banks of throttle bodies on the top of the V8. I hope to add a snorkel later, if I can arrange it without too many elbows. I then only have to work out how to waterproof the throttle bodies themselves.

But, dragging this back off topic, the air feed for the Puma engined Defender is the most half-arsed bit of "engineering" I have seen for a long time. When I fitted my raised air intake (absolutely not a snorkel), I noticed that the assorted bits of flattened plastic that made up the dirty air intake had such big gaps between them you could fit a finger. Any idea that these might keep water, dirt or small animals out is laughable. When I last changed my air filter, I had to hoover out the air box to get rid of all of the lumps and wasps. After my incoming air has passed through the RAI, I assumed that most of the larger particles would have already fallen out of the flow and so dispensed with the hiclone and sealed up the water drain below it. I haven't yet decided whether to replace these flattened air tubes, just try and seal what has been provided.

Finally liberated from the post office and I think I can make it work......maybe

Threw it in the work van this morning so I could disect it before I started

Fairly decent size

post-8190-0-09770700-1441691836_thumb.jpg

Normal defender air box port mods will be required inside

post-8190-0-11805400-1441691908_thumb.jpg

It is riddled with holes though, so I'll be buying a pack of araldite and carving up the hiclone(which pops out surprisingly easelely) to make a patch

post-8190-0-02821500-1441692392_thumb.jpg

post-8190-0-12318700-1441692423_thumb.jpg

The only disappointing thing about it that I can't do anything about is the port size. 2.5 inch to the throttle body and 4 inch on the snorkel side. Silver lining to that is I could potentially make the MS MAT sensor fit in the mat port on the port which would save me a bit of work as I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fit the stubby housing I got from Nige in there now.....we'll see at the weekend if it will go

• 2 weeks later...

IT FITS!

Just

Only not with Thor, there just isn't the space between the throttle body and the port to fit mat sensors and a pwm hose. it is a 70mm port not 63 like I previously stated so there is t too much of a restriction there. It can go on the other side of the engine bay like on the tdci if you move the pas resivour too. So I'm just putting the idea out there for those it may help.....

post-8190-0-34042600-1442758577_thumb.jpeg

post-8190-0-28313500-1442758598_thumb.jpeg

post-8190-0-82912100-1442758614_thumb.jpeg

• 3 years later...

Thread revival time.... In the process of re-doing a number of jobs that i thought were done, such as the air cleaner. I did have a ebay one that looked like it was for a Corsa, and while it would have been fine to get it running, I was putting off the inevitable. I want to try to fit the 300TDi filter in a semi-factory looking position.

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct set-up for the filter/brackets/mount? It might sound stupid, but there are very few photos online actually showing the way it fits together. If it is correct, is there any reason why the inlet must point downwards? I can move the cap so the drain points downwards no matter what orientation the main can is in, so filing off the stud that keeps the inlet down will allow me to position it horizontally (or upwards). The arrows on the cap and main filter housing indicate they are quite keen it is lined up specifically this way, if there is some engineering reason why it must all be this way around, I will try to work with that limitation.

AirBox300tdi.jpg.cf1beacf5d75af04dc0a13b548a62d1d.jpg

airbox300tdi2.jpg.cdb5e5fb905c5ef06d77daa0ef9a2497.jpg

Bought this all fairly cheaply so not too worried about cutting things to work.

If anyone is wondering, the mount and brackets are both Britpart and came with terrible paint issues. One even seemed to have been  re-touched using a rattle can. What the hell is going on at that company?