It's second hand not solid gold!

Nigelw

Been busy with gathering my parts for the up coming OBA install, just needed a crank pulley, thought it worth a shot and rang a couple of breakers looking for one and hoping for the cast one not pressed tin type too.

2 of 5 got back to me and both wanted a few euro more than ordering a brand new one out of the uk, one for a pressed tine type and the other was infact a cast one, and yes both were second hand!

Altered my plan slightly but needless to say I won't ring them in future for second hand parts thats for sure!

Why oh why price parts to rip off the unwitting who may not know better :(

Due to the price of the case items, I took a chance on a BP pressed pulley and i hate to say it but its fine. Its about the only thing from BP that I've ever been able to say that about.

I hummed and haaarred about it and have decided to get a cheap std cast one second hand along with a 300Tdi serp pulley also second hand and go with the flat multi-V belt as I have a ac pump that is serp drive, located a 24 volt alternator that is serp for reasonable money so, may aswell go thar way as power transmission is supposedly better through the multi-V belt?

Yes, contact area is better on muti-V. Normal V belts are better on sticks and stones. Normal V belts bulge in the middle as they go over a pulley, which is what makes them drive, so they seem to be more suceptable to worn pulleys. I have a suspicion multi-v generates less heat internally, which makes them last better.

My bad :( but I did experience similar over the border!

Worst thing is Daan, I can get a machine shop locally to make my custom pulley out of 2 old ones for less than one of the second hand ones. Current quote is 65 euro to machine, weld and balance the pulley being made, not bad at all!