series 3 with bmw m60 3.5 v8 idea

I would more think that an engine from an e34 535i, the m30 would be awesome. They are BMW tanks and deliver 230hp US version and equal amount of torque.

These engines are easy to repair, cheap and would be a better match I think. It's lighter and smaller though referred to as the big 6 compared to the m20 in the e30 325i

There are three generations of this engine but in my opinion the last generation from the e34 was the strongest.....I used to have a performance BMW shop up to 2012.

sounds good think I will start collecting parts will keep my eye out for a 4.4 that make nearly 300 he and nearly as much torque

Not wanting to dissuade you, but that's similar numbers to a boring old 4.6 Rover lump from a P38, which is a much easier prospect, and V8 P38's are cheap, if the objective is just to have more numbers under the bonnet.