Spongy brakes

I have a 2002 110. I have owned it for 7 years now.

The brakes have always been spongy. If you press harder, there is loads of braking power there. Distributed evenly over the wheels. But you have to press pretty hard!

The first thing I did after having bought the truck was replace the master cylinder with a brand new Lucas one. After power bleeding with fresh fluid the brakes were still spongy so I sent the master cylinder back and got a replacement. Same story so I just left that on.

Next I'm thinking is something to do with the brake servo.

If I just hold my foot on the brake pedal as I start the car I can feel the brake pedal being sucked down slightly.

If I give the pedal a pump and then keep the brake pedal depressed when I start the engine the pedal is not going down any further.

So I'm thinking something with the servo system. Vacuum leak or something along those lines.

But how do I check? I'm not sure how much to expect the vacuum pump to be sucking?

Are there any common failures in around this?

From what I know. A poor servo or vacuum pump would have the opposite affect. It would have firm/hard brakes.

It sounds like there's air to me, or possibly the brake flexi hoses bulging. Check all your wheel bearings too for any play. Just a few suggestions that may help

I have had a look at the servo itself. It looks OK but I will have a closer look. Visual inspection only or would something like soapy water help?

There's no air in the system. I have power bled it several times and I'm confident I've done it right.

No play in wheel bearings.

Have you clamped the flexi's off to check MC?

Sorry, what is MC? And how do I do that?

I have had a look at the servo itself. It looks OK but I will have a closer look. Visual inspection only or would something like soapy water help?

There's no air in the system. I have power bled it several times and I'm confident I've done it right.

No play in wheel bearings.

Sorry, what is MC? And how do I do that?

MC = Master Cylinder.