Leaf Spring oddity

Gremlin

Right, so today i have been investigating a particular defect on my land rover. I noticed this since my tyre change last week that my front axle is not quite where it should be. So out came the tape measure..............

Now my front springs are a bit of a botch job with a mish mash of spring packs of unknown origin. Main leafs were original land rover items from a surplus military parts bin.

I noticed that one spring pack has the centre bolt not quite in the centre! its about 8mm off approx, so my axle sits 8mm further back from right to left!! it drives straight and true, no crabbing or other quirky handling.

What are the chances of having a Main leaf with a hole drilled wrongly? Any one else ever found such an occurrence?

I have a spare set so this defect will be rectified but i have been running these springs for over 9 years and in all the previous years i have changed various springs i never tried to check if the centre bolt is really in the centre.

How many of you check??

And finally, new front springs, any recommendations?? No parabolloks, as i had them on the front and broke them, only the rears survived (early heystee jobbies)

G

Have you checked the other spring? It could be that 1-ton springs have the bolt slightly back to increase the space between the front of the larger tyre and the wing or bumper. If it's offset aft by 4mm, and you have one spring one way and the other spring reversed, you'd have an 8mm difference.

I suspect it's well within tolerances. My Marsland chassis dumbiron spring bolt holes were about 12mm out from left to right, prodcucing a lean and a pull to the left (rectified by welding up and redrilling the holes), and the mini-outriggers for the rear spring shackles are 5mm different from side to side (has no effect on geometry as measured on 4-wheel laser alignment).

Hi Nick, well the other spring seems spot on.

Next to your findings mine seem trivial!

I was curious to see if any one had a found something similar. I did not know about the 1 ton springs, and it does make sense to move the axle a little back, as my tyres are now very close to the front lip at full lock.

Time to find or buy a matched set, me thinks..........................the spare set i have came off as a pair, i just need to re arch them.

G

I'm only guessing at the possibility of a different spring centre on 1-ton springs, Pat - I doubt it's the case, but I'm trying to come up with a reason for the bolt hole being so far out; it can't be within production tolerances, so may have just slipped through quality control. 1-tons will have special springs, but that'd just be for the weight rating, probably nothing dimensional.

Have they? Hmm... I'd have to really think about it..maybe even ask the PO, but I'm sure my 109 (1-ton chassis) has got the springs off a 109 we scrapped years ago...springs and shocks were nearly new. Maybe need to look at mine again..she rides just fine though

Hi Soren, don't know but they will be getting replaced when the weather warms up.

For the pin to loose its center all i can thing of is that the main spring loop (bush holder) moved or unwound!

Well when it come of i am going to post up with my findings.........................

G

• Like 1