Rear headlining for hard-top

GBMUD

I have been looking at getting a rear headlining for my 90HT. It seems that all the ones on eBay have cutouts for Alpine lights, and that they are all eye-wateringly expensive! Is there another DIY solution? I would like to reduce condensation and damp interior noise, what solutions have other people employed? Something in thin ply with carpet?

Cheers

Chris

Chris, I have a county 90 ('89) and I can tell you the factory headlining made no difference at all to condensation, other than hiding it. I now have 10mm closed cell foam stuck to the underside of the roof which seems to work.

That plus light carpet would seem a good bet to me.

The closed cell foam came from Halfords courtesy of a current deal at £10 for a pack of rolson garage floor stuff. Two packs did the rear roof and load bay floor area.

Closed cell foam is your friend. Make sure it is proper closed cell, as open cell is a.....er.....sponge and will naturally absorb all the damp and eventually stink. It needs to be glued well to the whole roof surface, using some high-temp adhesive - you can get sprays for this (make sure they are high temp) or use EvoStik - you may need a gas mask or oxygen supply to prevent you dying whilst doing it though!

I've done several 110's with it. It is pretty easy to do, although time-consuming. Best done on a warm day when the inner roof surface is warm and dry. On top you can put whatever you want but you can buy automotive carpet from campervan converters that is stretchy so it can be neatly tucked into the corners. I put several layers of foam in the main panels to bring the foam surface up to the level of the top of the roof strengthening ribs then covered the whole surface with carpet. Warm, dry, quiet.

Various options - camping mats are widely available. But a better idea is to get a few of you together and put an order in to a 'chemical converter' - the folks who actually make the stuff, and buy a few 8x4' sheets - you can choose your grade and thickness. I paid £100 for an order and that was enough foam to do three 110's with a single layer or two vans with a double layer - that's doing double on all of the roof, and single layers on both sides and the whole rear floor (under ply).

Thanks for the tips guys. I had some closed cell foam panels glued to the roof of a previous 90, and while they were effective at reducing noise and condensate, they also kept falling off - and not just in hot weather.

I will have a bit of a think on the subject before making my next move...

Cheers

Chris

Chris

on my 110 I stuck cheap roof-flashing to the roof panels to reduce resonance (not 100% coverage as it is not necessary. Then I carpet glued foil back closed cell foam on from one of the HAZRAD kits. Finally I cut 5mm ply panels to screw on to the strengthening ribs and covered them with stretch van carpet. This gives quite a nice warm, semi professional finish and condensation is now never a problem...

Best photo I have sorry

18002115lp.jpg