Winch-It

BogMonster

I am looking at buying one of these to fit on a boat trailer - easier on the arms than the hand winch that usually comes fitted to boat trailers. It's to recover a 5.8m RIB that weighs about a ton or so, onto a roller trailer.

http://www.winch-it.com/proddetail.php?prod=3000Lb-winch-suits-Trailers-ATVs

Any views on the make? I don't want to spend a lot on the idea, and somebody who has one on a boat trailer seems to think it works well. The wireless remote is key.

Thanks. The price just seemed very cheap compared to Bowyer etc who would want about £300 for a similar product so I wondered if it was too good to be true.

Interesting comment on salt/acid. I've been using 6mm Dyneema on my boat trailer hand winch for the best part of ten years now and had no problem, though admittedly it doesn't get put in the water so any salt water is confined to the odd trip. I've no idea why the majority of boat owners persevere with those stupid winch straps which last about 5 minutes!

I would take a snap of it but that horse truck is in Spain now on the sunshine tour!

3 months fitted, it drags the 550kg tack trunk up and down the ramp no probs, and thats 3 times up and down every weekend since fitting in November!

Cant see your boat being a prob, especially with keel on a roller ;)

In the absence of a reply from Winch-It, any experience of Winchmax?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINCH-12V-ATV-BOAT-TRAILER-3000-lb-WINCHMAX-BRAND-/130930936418

Seems to be exactly the same thing with a different paint job, so presumably like the Chinese generators they all come from the same place!

In the absence of a reply from Winch-It, any experience of Winchmax?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINCH-12V-ATV-BOAT-TRAILER-3000-lb-WINCHMAX-BRAND-/130930936418

Seems to be exactly the same thing with a different paint job, so presumably like the Chinese generators they all come from the same place!

Looks to be about the same piece of equipment, just look at the 24 month guarantee on it too!!

worth a punt surely?

So is this one of these companies that doesn't bother answering emails? I sent an email at the beginning of the week asking for more details, nothing in response, so I've just re-sent it, hopefully get a reply this time.

Not with this company but I've had it with a few lately. Really frustrating when I'm trying to sort stuff for the rebuild!

So is this one of these companies that doesn't bother answering emails? I sent an email at the beginning of the week asking for more details, nothing in response, so I've just re-sent it, hopefully get a reply this time.

I bought a 13000lb winch from them about 5 years ago, and I've since been in contact by email and always had a response, although not necessarily very quickly. Very happy with the winch itself.

Well, they haven't responded today, so Winchmax it is. I've ordered a 3000lb which hopefully will do the job.

Can't be bothered with companies that don't respond to emails. You just know it's going to be hard work if you have a problem. I have sent a suitably abrasive follow up telling them I would be taking my business elsewhere. I've heard all the excuses before - "we're too busy to answer emails - call us" being the classic.

The Winchmax logo is, um, "quite close to a well known brand" which is amusing :)