Divorcing an LT230

I'm looking for anyone's input with things I might have forgotten, or things to be aware of when divorcing an LT230?

How good is the input seal on the LT230 when its not enclosed by a transmission?

Obviously another 2 mounts need adding as well as the standard mount to stop it moving about.

Some kind of spud shaft needed. The 722.6 gearbox I'm using has a rubber donut like the 300series discoverys do. Would it work just joining the two with only the rubber donut and a short 3 bolt spud shaft to the LT230?

Finally, I have yet to look at a 722.6 in person, but I don't think there is a way to solid mount it to the LT230. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like you could do it if you get the right box:

http://www.smartpartsauto.com/automatic_transmission_7226.html

As fitted to the Jeep Cherokee.....

Maybe a mix and match Merc gearbox with Jeep tail housing would get you something to bolt to?

I did similar with a Lexus V8 and Toyota Surf gearbox/transfer box :)

*EDIT* Bit more on other applications, some are definitely 4WD : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_5G-Tronic_transmission

*EDIT AGAIN* and this has some decent pics, just need to find one that doesn't cost the earth, i.e. broken to bits: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-SSANGYONG-REXTON-2-7-AUTOMATIC-GEARBOX-WITH-TRANSFER-BOX-TORQUE-CONVERTER-/141424176216?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ed89ac58

Looking at my LRO that has just landed this month (yes I read the comic for inspiration of how others may have done it), there is an article in it on a 5.0L Icon V8 (ex mustang I suspect being TiVCT) that is using a 722.6 (5 speed auto Mercedes transmission).

It's in a 90, and it's a direct connection (non-divorced) using a flange plate and a re-splined LT230 input gear (which is what I'm doing although not with that gearbox).

To quote one of the pictures:

"The gearbox is based on the Mercedes 722.6 five-speed automatic. Nene uses an adapter machined from billet alloy to mate in to the Defender transfer case in any of its three ratio options...."

Happy to post my flange plate arrangement if it helps to visualise on my idea although it's a different box, and you can have the CAD file for the input flange of the LT230 if you want it (was going to post it to the CAD archive once the parts came back from the laser cutters and I was 100% sure of alignment, hence suggest they are final draft now)

Rob

• 1 year later...

Any advances with the divorced set up. I have chassis, TB coming soon and a complete e300 waiting to be gutted. Interesting to see Rakeway shorter shaft.

I want to leave the TB as per landrover so standard props. And get the engine in such a position that it all fits. Next job to collect a TB, rad pack and fit the bulkhead to the chassis.

• 4 weeks later...

on the divorced front, i have a TB and a 722.6 and a chassis now so there's plans afoot. Could do with a cad drawing of the connecting flange from LT230 to Gearbox (MT82) in this case, although i believe there all the same?

Plans are to make a BIG multi point bracket to hold the end of the gearbox to the TB bracket and a skid plate.

• 2 years later...