wipac led light issue

hi all

i have just tried to put led lights on my 90, i installed a led number plate light worked fine. then started on the side light wired up red to red ect ect, before install the old light worked fine on side light but went out on when breaks applied. Bad earth?

now with both lights plugged in only one works (the first one) after fiddling i have put a strait bit of wire from the black of one light to the other and this is the only way to make it work, when on they seam very bright when they are on side lights. but no break light shows. when the key is tuned to position 3 and no lights on then you can see the break lights come on very dim compared to side light.

am i right in thinking this is a bad earth? or something eating away some were.

thanks in advance

Yep sounds like a bad earth to me anyway, If the black is the earth try clipping it to the chassis or body earth if you have a spare jump lead or wire kicking about. The lamp earths behind the number plate lamp covers on the tub are notorious patches for poor earths.

I'm not an expert, but is the number plate bulb a festoon fitting? Metal at each end?

If so then it could be that your coloured wires are not correct (previous owner wiring) or if, like me you buy your bulbs cheaply from ebay, sometimes the positive and negative can be the wrong way around and cause problems when wired "correctly"

If number plate bulb is festoon, then it won't matter as it doesn't matter which way in its fitted.

Make sure you have good earths on the black. But it also sounds like you might have the sidelight and brakelight wiring swapped over. The brake should be very bright and the sidelight a lot less. With LEDs wired with it swapped over you won't see the brake lights with the sidelights on.